Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, A little background. I installed a "universal" crate engine a bout 3,500 miles ago. When I went to install it, I found the pan had been bent/damaged in transit. So, I bought a 1 piece pan gasket from Summit, along with their cheapo chrome pan.
Well, long story short, el cheapo not el sealo so well. I have a friend that had the same pan/problem.
So, while I am waiting on other parts for the car, I decide now is the time to install that new Milodon oil pan and new 1 piece gasket sitting in the garage. Why not, right? Well, meantime, my friend finds out, and donates a Milodon windage tray, and oil pump bulkhead. Why not? The pan is off. I re-torqued, the engine. All is good. So, I spend the better part of the 102* day installing the needed studs for said tray. Grumpyvette has been most kind to help with guidance.
Now the pictures, then the questions/problems. BTW, with the steering control valve already off, dropping the idler arm makes this pretty easy.

Now the questions?
1)Look right so far?
2)Dipstick right place? It looks like the screen may deflect it down giving a false reading.
3)How the hell am I going to check the clearance?
4)The oil pump plate seems to be preventing the pan from setting forward enough to seal properly.
5)I will have to remove it all to install the gasket first. :thud:
6)Should I use the new pick-up? It is twice the size.
7)Am I dumb or what? (Glutton for punishment I am. This answer is optional, but probably the most answered).:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
Now the questions?
1)Look right so far?

NO, the surge plate is wrong for that pan, discard it

2)Dipstick right place? It looks like the screen may deflect it down giving a false reading.
don,t worry in the slightest, pour in 5 quarts and look at where the oil level is, its fine

clearance seems fine, in the pictures, but the windage screen should be 1/8" from the rotating assembly and the pick-up 3/8"-1/2" from the pan floor

4)The oil pump plate seems to be preventing the pan from setting forward enough to seal properly.

see answer #1

either pick-up can be used just make sure its between 3/8" and 1/2" from the pan floor, a lump of model clay stuck to the lower surface of the pick-up with the pan temp installed, measure the clay after removing the pan, then if necessary make adjustments, only once its correct BRAZE the pickup after temp removing the spring
silver soldering is basically lower temp brazeing , the soldering metal flows over the surface and into micro cracks in the surace of the other metal forming a almost unremoveable bond to the other metals surface it allows you to stick iron to steel or brass to steel, it works more or less like normal solder does on copper but at higher temps and has a much stronger grip in addition too working on iron and steel

7)Am I dumb or what? (Glutton for punishment I am. This answer is optional, but probably the most answered).:laughing:[/QUOTE]
this HOBBY is DESIGNED for RICH masochists.........IVE got it 1/2 right, now I just need to get RICH!:thumbsup: :laughing:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the questions?
1)Look right so far?

NO, the surge plate is wrong for that pan, discard it
I had a feeling. Summit lists this as correct for the application.:crazy:
don,t worry in the slightest, pour in 5 quarts and look at where the oil level is, its fine:thumbsup:
clearance seems fine, in the pictures, but the windage screen should be 1/8" from the rotating assembly and the pick-up 3/8"-1/2" from the pan floor
Should I do the clay thing here too?

see answer #1
Got it. Is it worth cutting down, or just trash it?

either pick-up can be used just make sure its between 3/8" and 1/2" from the pan floor, a lump of model clay stuck to the lower surface of the pick-up with the pan temp installed, measure the clay after removing the pan, then if necessary make adjustments, only once its correct BRAZE the pickup after temp removing the spring
silver soldering is basically lower temp brazeing , the soldering metal flows over the surface and into micro cracks in the surace of the other metal forming a almost unremoveable bond to the other metals surface it allows you to stick iron to steel or brass to steel, it works more or less like normal solder does on copper but at higher temps and has a much stronger grip in addition too working on iron and steelSo to carify, silver solder is fine?

7)Am I dumb or what? (Glutton for punishment I am. This answer is optional, but probably the most answered).:laughing:
this HOBBY is DESIGNED for RICH masochists.........IVE got it 1/2 right, now I just need to get RICH!:thumbsup: :laughing: [/QUOTE]

Perfect answer

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
"Is it worth cutting down, or just trash it?"

trash it, the benefits are small to non-existant,in your application, the windage screen will do most of the oil control

silver solder is fine?

silver solder or brazing is fine? once your 100% sure the clearances are correct:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Is it worth cutting down, or just trash it?"

trash it, the benefits are small to non-existant,in your application, the windage screen will do most of the oil control

silver solder is fine?

silver solder or brazing is fine? once your 100% sure the clearances are correct:thumbsup:
Got it. I thank you for the help.:thumbsup:
I will update the completion tomarrow. Then I can put in the new steering control valve, and chase down my computer woes.:thud:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Got it. I thank you for the help.:thumbsup:
I will update the completion tomarrow. Then I can put in the new steering control valve, and chase down my computer woes.:thud:
"While you're at it."

Good luck Bird, hope it goes well.

John

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Call me crazy but knowing that somebody else is having some technical problems seems to make me feel better :WTF

Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
This one is self-inflicted.:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :thud:
I thought they were all self inflicted :laughing: at least they are for me anyway :smack for example take the blister on my left hand who knew the headers would be hot after running for 10 min's :huh: but i now know they are found out the hard way :laughing:

Kevin

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I thought they were all self inflicted :laughing: at least they are for me anyway :smack for example take the blister on my left hand who knew the headers would be hot after running for 10 min's :huh: but i now know they are found out the hard way :laughing:

Kevin

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

You're making it really tough on me there Kevin. I haven't told a soul..:devil:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

You're making it really tough on me there Kevin. I haven't told a soul..:devil:
:nuts: I bet it's just eating away at you :laughing: holding all that info back.
but just think how much better you will sleep by keeping that scuttlebutt to yourself :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I bet before the nights up that Jeff drags it out of you though :spanked:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
It won'[t be tonight-- I'm going nitey-nite. And I told you I wouldn't tell. :bang

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It won'[t be tonight-- I'm going nitey-nite. And I told you I wouldn't tell. :bang
Well alright then,you are a good man :laughing: i'm about ready to call it a night myself,talk to you later.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Psssssstt.\

:smack :smack :smack
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: That darn Tim,i knew he couldn't hold it in forever :laughing: . So i guess so much for not telling anybody HUH,well i think i see a little revenge in the future :nuts: Let's see where is that new enclosed trailer of Tim's at :huh:
:surprised Oh it's in my back yard gottttttta go later :buhbye:

Kevin

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, After being 110* all day, I started at 5PM, and worked till done.(9PM)
I went out and bought a billit oil pump drive shaft. Cheap upgrade for $14.00 from Melling. I have never had faith in that stupid nylon coupling.

Then, It's time to cut off about 1" of the lower dipstick tube. This solved the tray distortion, and let the dipstick slide in smoother. It also allows installation of the gasket after tray install.:thumbsup: I used a mini tubing cutter to prevent debri.

Then I installed the tray one last time to check clearances. With the studs installed, runnung the back up nuts all the way allowed enough clearance.

I then installed the 1 piece gasket, and the new pan. The old chrome pan drain plug would not allow the last 3/16" of oil to drain. Thus, the crude stayed in, and did not drain.
Torqued the 5/16" bolts to 200"lb, and the 1/4" bolts to 96"lbs.
Now, no leaks(yet):D
Installed the rebuilt steering control valve, and now for the first time in months, no leaks.:cheers:
I would never have done all this to install the tray on a 200HP stocker, but since it was free, what the heck. If I ever upgrade the top end, it's there. If I don't, no harm, just better oil control.(I am sure the Milodon sticker added 5HP):laughing: :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
looks good ,..... CONGRATS:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice job man!

That bottom end looks so darn clean...mating surfaces look fresh..how'd you install that one piece? Did you glue it to the block?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice job man!

That bottom end looks so darn clean...mating surfaces look fresh..how'd you install that one piece? Did you glue it to the block?
The instructions are specific about no adhesive. I just held it up with two hands, and used two more hands to hold up the pan, and my other two hands to start the 4 corner bolts. I felt like a friggin octopus.:rolling:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The instructions are specific about no adhesive. I just held it up with two hands, and used two more hands to hold up the pan, and my other two hands to start the 4 corner bolts. I felt like a friggin octopus.:rolling:
Ya, I remember when I put mine in...:laughing:

The reason I asked is because I read a post where the guy used some kind of adhesive to afix it to the block...can't find the thread....

Edit..found the thread..it was Grumpy who did the adhesive.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80259&highlight=felpro

1 - 20 of 20 Posts