Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys have my 81 with an old alpine that came with it back in 87'. There are no front speakers in the dash pods. Would love to put some nice 4x6's in there sugestions. Want to replace the 6x9's in the rear pods..going to make some custom pods for the new 6x9's as to be able to have bigger magnets and more power. Need an amp to drive all 4 speakers and will eventually upgrade to a new Alpine HU. Thinking bout going with a powered sub..possibly a Bazooka sub something I can pull out when I need the space.

Any info for a C3 upgrade or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanks ahead guys for the info!:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I don't have a C-3 but if you upgrade to a new Alpine head unit and are gonna power 4 speakers there will be more than enough power there with out an amp. I have an Alpine that runs 2 Alpine 6 x 9's and right now the rest of the bose that came in the car I'm getting ready to upgrade those as well. The headunit is 60 watts per channel. If you want to go with a seperate sub I would just run it from the pre amp lines to an amp the to your sub. I have my system set up like this with 2-12's and a crossover so the bass is all the way down on the radio keeping the mids and highs clear and letting the bass be controled by the amp and crossover.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sure that there are guys here that are WAYYYY more knowledgeable than me here but i just couldn't get the sound i wanted without the power of an amp.
I put 2 4X6 Clarion pro audio's in the dash and 2 :lookinup: Jensen 6X9's:lookinup: in the rear with a Rockford Fosgate 200 punch amp powering all 4 speakers. Sounds pretty good.
I even got stupid and bought a :huh: Powered Bazooka tube that I can remove by unplugging if needed and put in a on/off switch and volume switch in the ashtrey compartment.
The system actually sounds better than i expected but i think that is because our C3's really aren't that hard to make sound good.
Here are a few pics

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I too am a C4 guy and have to agree with raid. The new head units from Alpine put out a whole lot of power. Mine suggests 10awg wire from the battery to the deck! But, here is what I would do, put in 4x6 in the dash, 6x9 in the rear, all powered by the deck amp on a newer alpine head unit. If you add a sub and an amp, that will really enhance the feel of your music. Armstrong has a nice setup there. If you want to use an amp for all 4 speakers, by all means do. Amps are superior to deck power any day, but as far as deck power goes, Alpine is king. :thumbsup: to Armstrong for the nice install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts