Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got my body to the paint shop, I'm still wondering why my bearing supports & strut rods bottomed out before tearing the car down. The strut rods had rubbed so much that one wore completely thru. Did someone not adjust the spring properly before I bought it, or is the spring defective or weak. I just can't fiqure out how this could happen?

Any thoughts? :crazy:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
bottomed out? on what? missing rear bump stop??? Bump stop plate on trailing arm bent??? Strut rods rubbed? on what?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom of the strut rods where they attach to the shock plate on the bottom of the TA. I know this is hard to believe but something ground off the bottom of the strut rod flat. The bump stops are in place and ok. The trailing arm looks fine. I did notice in dissassembly that all of the brake dust plates where also flat on the bottom. ( Both front & rear ) The rear shocks where shot. I had to replace both bearing supports due to the damage also. :crazy:

I knew I could count on TT for help. Thanks.

:cheers:

·
Registered
738 Posts
NFW, unless a wheel fell off

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
we need pics of this, i'm having a hard time either believing or visualizing this LOL. Maybe it was a half assed attempt at remiving the shock bolt or something?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks like both front and back wheels fell off, he says that both (f&r) dust shields are flat on bottom! I don't get how the rear dust shield could be flat spotted, the lowest point of the bearing support is well below the bottom of the dust shield. Need pix!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here are the pictures of the strut rods. Notice how flat they are where they where located on the shock mounts. One of the shock bolts were ground off too. I would show pictures of the bearing supports but I don't have
them any longer. They were sent off on the trailing arm rebuild. :crazy:

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Ok, here are the pictures of the strut rods. Notice how flat they are where they where located on the shock mounts. One of the shock bolts were ground off too. I would show pictures of the bearing supports but I don't have
them any longer. They were sent off on the trailing arm rebuild. :crazy:

om/albums/aa6/hpippin/P1000275.jpg[/IMG]

WOW,

looks like someone drug that car with the wheel off.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep, thats what it looks like. I wouldn't trust ANY of them parts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow, it would take a lot of dragging around on concrete to do that much damage.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
You sure have something special there... holy ****!!! :surprised

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Come on guys, have you never seen this before??? It would be hard to believe that someone drug the car with all wheels off. Even so, it would take a lot of dragging to grind it down this far.

My only explanation would be if someone had a driveway that had 2 strips of concrete that was to narrow for the Vette ( with the tires off of the concrete ) allowing the bottom to drag. I just want to make sure I don't over look anything before I finishing reassembling everything.

:crazy: :surprised :cheers:

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Come on guys, have you never seen this before??? It would be hard to believe that someone drug the car with all wheels off. Even so, it would take a lot of dragging to grind it down this far.

My only explanation would be if someone had a driveway that had 2 strips of concrete that was to narrow for the Vette ( with the tires off of the concrete ) allowing the bottom to drag. I just want to make sure I don't over look anything before I finishing reassembling everything.

:crazy: :surprised :cheers:

Yep it could be that too. What does it matter. The effect is the same. You will also need new spindle supports.

Either way that car has been severely abused and everything should be suspect. Sorry, but that's the truth.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yep it could be that too. What does it matter. The effect is the same. You will also need new spindle supports.

Either way that car has been severely abused and everything should be suspect. Sorry, but that's the truth.
:agree: And no. I have never seen this before on a Vette.
Low riding English sports cars always have flattened exhaust form driveways and such. :thumbsup:
The only time I have seen comparible damage is on Model T fords. When a rear axle snaps/wheel comes off, the brake backing plate drags on the ground, creating a flat spot, similar to your dust shields. :thumbsup:
The shields are so close to the wheel on a Vette, I just don't know, other than dragging it on the ground for a short distance.:crazy:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!

I have already replaced and rebuilt all of the suspension in the front & rear with the exception of the mono spring. It just has baffled me how this happened? Hopefully it want happen again. :huh:

:cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts