Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
yeah sure thing I may actually be driving threw AL sometime in february.

the VBP suspension is actaully very easy to install especially on the front. taking out the older suspension is harder because of the spring compression, but the new transverse spring is not under pressure when the wheels are off the ground.

3 Hours for the front is all you should need. but with the engine out you may be able to speed that up.

the entire job should take 6-12 hours front and back depending on the problems you may run into

The biggest problem with the whole kit is the Trailing arm bolts. but you wont have that issue on the front things should unbolt easy.

I myself got screwed on my install because I wanted it done before I got home on leave so I could play around with my car. The shop came back with a HUGE bill and did not even install the trailing arm bolts. I really wish I had done it myself or if not I could have had josh do it for way cheeper. The shop I took it to charged me 39 hours for labor so they claimed it was a hard job for them. but its not like your installing custom pieces. I learned my lesson on not getting told a time bofor a job, they claimed they could not give me a quote because they had never done it befor.

Long story short I could of purchased TWO VBP performance plus kits for what mine ended up costing me to not do it myself.

They should have included a DVD showing the install as well.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
nice! lookin good!

I just got some good/bad news; we're going to be swamped with work for the next few weeks for sure :smack means i cant get to the vette until i have a few days off so :huh: i guess i'll take a bolt off here and there each time i walk in and out of the garage (on my way to and from work) and maybe get it done that way for now :rolling:

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's looking great! Josh does do good work (attention to detail) and has lots of experience.

Great seeing all the pictures :thumbsup: , brings back fond memories of when I did mine. Wish I would have taken a lot more pictures myself.

Just keep thinking of how awesome it will be driving it around for motivation. I used to have dreams of driving when I was doing mine....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lookin' good.

I didnt catch this if you mentioned it, but are you going to do Rack and Pinion or Hydroboost brake upgrade while your at it? I do know they both made a big difference in my car with even the OEM systems operating up to par.

I've made the $$ decision $$ that Im going to do the LS1 swap as well $$$$. My CFI developed a rather loud tick in the passenger head on my last foray last weekend. I'll try to document what I can in a similar type thread.

Keep the pics coming. This a great stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes I do plan a hydroboost setup, however at the moment I am not doing a rack and pinion. My budget really did not allow for it and I chose other upgrades instead like a new clutch, electric headlight setup, new HID lights, 79 built rear end with halfshafts.

I was more concerned with those aspects because I intend to drive the car 1000 miles when I go back to TX from leave.

Another reason I opted to wait, was after the VBP performance plus install alot of the problems with the old steering went away, bump steer is praticly gone and steering tightend up, of coarse I know it is not to par with a rack, but it handles exeptionally well for now.

I plan to do the rack and pinion when I finish up the suspension with new BUILT offset trailing arms, that is the last two things I am lacking there.

P.S. THERE ARE ALOT of different things that will be going on in this build. some not related to the LS1 swap, and some that are and are just some goodie upgrades and eye candy;)

Lookin' good.

I didnt catch this if you mentioned it, but are you going to do Rack and Pinion or Hydroboost brake upgrade while your at it? I do know they both made a big difference in my car with even the OEM systems operating up to par.

I've made the $$ decision $$ that Im going to do the LS1 swap as well $$$$. My CFI developed a rather loud tick in the passenger head on my last foray last weekend. I'll try to document what I can in a similar type thread.

Keep the pics coming. This a great stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks hopefully there should be more updates after this weekend.

and again Thanks goes out again to you guys at RevXtreme for the Rear end.

To bad I cant talk you into donating a catch can LOL. That will come later though when I get some more money

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cleanin the Nastyness!!!

ok time for another little update. As I posted before I purchased my engine out of a junk yard and apparently this engine had been there for a while and definitely saw its better days. The engine was broken down to the bare long block and this is what it looked like.

As you can see its DIRTY, take note any of you who own a LS1 if you notice the INTAKE runners, THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A CATCH CAN!!! all kinds of oil residue in there. I am not taking my own advice though because I plan a whole new motor in a year or so anyways so i wont be putting a catch can on this one, just a nice clean up for now.

Also whoever changed the oil in the engine the last time did not know how to tighten a oil filter

looks pretty nasty but will get cleaned up. The alternator was horrible looking, if it don't clean up well it will get replaced, probably will get replaced in about a month anyways for peace of mind.

Now onto some other areas of interest. this is some random parts.

The transmission has been torn down, The clutch looked to be in good condition However because I was unsure I have already gotten something else;) more on that later, The slave is also getting replaced.

This T-56 came from the factory with a HURST SHIFTER.

You can tell the difference because the FLANGE is super thick on them the regular GM's are not as thick. I was going to go with a aftermarket one but since its a little better than factory already I will stay with this until I do a trans rebuild next year on it. It will be getting a aftermarket shifter ball and a shorter stick also.

So far in the tear down this is the only problem that was found.

Notice that one of the slave cyl bolts was broken off, meaning someone was in there befor. This will get drilled out and fixed like it should be.

That is pretty much it for now, there will be ALOT MORE comming. Things are moving fast and hopefully the engine will be in this weekend. This is how things look right now.

My car is not much to look at but after only having here a year and considering about EVERYTHING was wore out on her she has come a long way. Notice the camber in the rear;) its getting removed soon as well to put in the new IRON rear.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
lookin good! i worked 10 hour days last week (and its been freezing here, got a cold front down from canada and its been 20-40degrees all week) so i havent even pulled the engine out of the camaro yet, but hey, i got Josh's package (engine mounts and shocks) and now that i've got pretty much everything i need, hopefully i'll start soon :cheers:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
LOL I thought I had everything I needed on about six different occasions. as you get into it you will start relizing you either A need more stuff, or B since stuff is out its a good time to change or upgrade some stuff or C you just find more stuff you want to put in LOL. I thought I purchased everything I needed in October but I just purchased another item less than a week ago and now that I plan to drive it 1000 miles when I get back a new starter and alternator will probably be in order befor I make that trip.

all 3 of those bugs got me and If I had more in my budget the engine would of gotten heads, cam and a new interior.

lookin good! i worked 10 hour days last week (and its been freezing here, got a cold front down from canada and its been 20-40degrees all week) so i havent even pulled the engine out of the camaro yet, but hey, i got Josh's package (engine mounts and shocks) and now that i've got pretty much everything i need, hopefully i'll start soon :cheers:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am going to poke in here really quick. The rear end is out and so is the tank, so keep you eyes open for more updates tomorrow. I am on my way out to the shop. I have about a week and a half to get this thing done. I am hoping to have the engine firfed by mid week. I have been waiting on the clutch. Sorry I haven't been on more I have been putting 60 hours a week in at the "day" job and all my remaining time is for family and James car.

I will go into more details soon.
i just snapped some pics of the tail lights so look for a PM in your inbox in a min

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Updates!!!!

ok, things are moving pretty fast now. The rear end was finally pulled all the way from the car. Minus the grease and dirt buildup it was in good shape, only slight surface rust.

This is a perfectly good rear end and halfshafts, they will get cleaned up and find there way into someone elses ride. After the rear was pulled this is what the back of the car and the fuel cell looked like.

As you can see things looked REALLY good under here, just some grease staines and thats it, the car is really in great shape underneath.

Now onto what is going into the car. I stated before that RevXtreme was able to hook me up with a Pre 80,s IRON rear end that was laying in their shop from a previous customer who road raced, he traded the rear for work done on his car, and it all worked out to my advantage!! I got a great deal and this baby is stronger than stock and holds some 4.11 Gears for some tire smokin, haulin ass on the strip fun.

I also was able to pickup a really nice brand new set of 3 inch halfshafts for the rear end also, they will be painted or powdercoated befor going on.

So far most everything is going together without a hitch, Minus the butcherd wiring harness and the broken bolt on the T-56 so far have only been the major problems.

AND NOW THE ENGINE!!!!!!!

SYKE!!!!!!!!!! bet your saying that is no LS1!!!!!!!, your right its not and its not my engine;) You may have heard that Josh has been working on the BIG BLOCK full stainless steel sidepipes for c3s well my car is the OFFICIAL TEST MULE.

They look pretty good on there. I cannot give out any more information on them however;) just know that at some point they will be out there.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Cleaning things up!!!

As you saw in some of the previouse pictures the transmission and engine were caked in grime and grease. They were cleaned up and brushed and this is how they turned out.

Things came out pretty good, the goal is to make the engine bay look as sexy as possible with the new engine in there. This is a sneak peak of some of the other extra bling;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
What year rear end is that? Its one of the older, stronger units right? The (pre) alluminum carriers. How hard is it to swap over to that.

Im currently building my motor, and the rearend is my BIGGEST concern. I have a freshly rebuilt alluminum rear with 3.70s, but Im concerned how it will hold up to the 450-500hp build Im planning.... a swap to one of these units would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If you have automatic it helps a little, also did you build up the rear end with stronger parts or just stock stuff?

swapping into one of these is not to hard but requires some modding. some holes will need to be drilled into the batwing to match the older iron rear.

You will also have to grind down the bushing on the front yoke mount if I am not mistakin to get it to fit right, and then modify your drivesshaft.

I did not have to do anything wtih my driveshaft. with were the ls1 engine sits, and the T56 extra length, it makes up for the shorter 79 yoke so its a perfect fit for my driveshaft.

What year rear end is that? Its one of the older, stronger units right? The (pre) alluminum carriers. How hard is it to swap over to that.

Im currently building my motor, and the rearend is my BIGGEST concern. I have a freshly rebuilt alluminum rear with 3.70s, but Im concerned how it will hold up to the 450-500hp build Im planning.... a swap to one of these units would be awesome!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cool, thanks for the response. Ill try to get in touch with Superpowers to see what he says.

No, my current rearend isnt beefed up. Now that I think about it, I replaced it 2-3yrs ago now, and it was just a rebuilt stock unit with the 3.70 gears.

Id hate to spend money on another unit when I just bought this one not long ago, but I keep hearing the stock unit wont hold that kind of power...

P.S your car is looking GREAT!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Up first is the custom crossmember for putting a LS1 into a C3.

This crossmemember is a tubular design that is ADJUSTABLE to work with different variaties of motor mounts that put the engine and trans farther forward or back.

Next we have MOTOR MOUNTS

This is what they look like mounted.

A/C RELOCATION BRACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These come in POLISHED BILLET but for my application we chose a sleeker look.

NOW onto one of the most troublesome problems to deal with on a LS swap. THE WATERPUMP.

One of the biggest problems is the stock locations for the inlets run right into the A arms, use to there was no real fix for this, but now you can solve one of the hardest problems of the LS swap.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
CLEANING and POWDERCOATING!!!

I had a very good idea for a THEME I wanted for under my hood. I did not really need to have a SHOWCAR engine bay but I did want the WOW affect. So when I told just my idea on the theme even though he said he never really liked the idea of BLACK accessories he went to work and started creating a jaw dropper.
First you remember the OLD ALTERNATOR RIGHT??

Josh took the alternator apart, cleaned it up real nice, threw some powder on it, and turned it into THIS!

The same trend continued with the rest of the brackets.

one step farther and took my valve covers and hit them with some powder too.

Looks like HOTTNESS to me.

Powdercoating booth :WTF

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
ENGINE AND TRANS PREP.

OK, now we are gettin to the good stuff. After the engine and trans were de-greased, it was time to check to see what kind of shape the engine was in, after all it had over 100k miles on it, This engine actually has more miles on it than my stock 350, but I heard these engines are notorious for being able to hold up to HIGH miles. Time to find out, First the oil pan was removed.

Lookin good so far, looks VERY clean and what oil is left in the engine is actually a nice amber color.

Now this is the AMAZING Part for this engine to have so many miles on it CHECK OUT THAT PISTION WALL

Still got the CROSSHATCH on it!!!!!!!!! almost looks like it was freshly honed. I have no background info on this engine other than it came out of a 2002 Ws6 Trans am and had 135k miles, thats right you heard me, for that many miles this engine looks to be in GREAT condition.

Now that the engine is out of the way, on to the T-56.
I was worried that with high miles the clutch was ganna be shot, I was wrong it was actually in great shape, but before finding that out I went out and got me one of these;)

This is the disk off the Stage 3 (700tq) Monster Clutch I purchased. I would like to thank them for the great service they provided me when purchasing this product. Now what clutch would be complete without a flywheel?

This is a BILLET STEEL flywheel that weights only 18 POUNDS!!!! that's right you heard it, 18 POUNDS and STEEL!!!

If you remember me talking about the Slave cyl having a broken bolt? well that was drilled out and a new slave was installed in the trans.

Everything was buttoned up and the clutch and flywheel was installed also.

Now another thing I was concerned about was the shape of the spark plugs and wires on a 100k mile engine. So I got me a set of these.

I got these as a set from WS6store, was a very good price, so it was cheep insurance to me.

21 - 40 of 227 Posts