Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have run across a deal that I could not turn down. I had been looking for and old car or truck to fix up. I had no luck finding anything in my price range. A co-worker of mine made a comment about somebody taking "that damn corvette with them". I paid attention when everyone else turned away at the lunch table. She said that the enigne ran last time she drove it (4 years or more ago), but it would not start or run right now. The interior was in bad shape as well. I kept listening and told her I wanted to come see it. After looking at it... I called a friend and discussed it with him. The interior was shot! the ttops were broken... and only covered by a cheap tarp from Walley World. The sun had worn the tarp out and rain had been getting into the interior seats and such. I was bad! The original engine had been replaced with a larger carbed engine. The air comditioing system was removed, the oil was like sludge, the wiring had been chopped and left bare for modifications to the new engine, and it was in generally in dirty conditions. The body was in good shape except for the front left fender had been hit and fixed with Bondo (which was cracked). I offered her $500. She did not speak to me for almost 2 weeks. I felt for sure that it was still going to be sitting in the driveway. The last day work work (I am a teacher) she came and said "this is totally negotiable, but how does $700 sound?" I just about had a heart attack! It was a deal. My dad who is a mechanic went the next night to look at it. He said "this is not as bad as you said." The next comment was... have you paid her?... get her the money in the morning and lets tow this SOB home before she changes her mind. We towed it home the next afternoon and the car was mine. The funny thing is that women just say that is nice... the men say "Man congratulations... you ought to be proud of that one" It is almost like they are saying it like I have had another child. I guess it is part of being a Corvette owner. Wish me luck.
Bill Richardson
I am trying to insert pictures, but they might show ... or maybe not...
if not go to www.n5vei.com for the pics and updates.

www.n5vei.com

Thanks guys

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
You have your work cut out for you, but it is doable. Congradulations bro! :thumbsup:

Have fun! :thumbsup:

BTW, try to resize your pictures to a smaller size (640x480) or so! :surprised

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
You have your work cut out for you, but it is doable. Congradulations bro! :thumbsup:

TO which I may inquire, why this thread is so wide on written material?? as are some others....requiring a horizontal scroll bar like about ten years ago on the internet?? i'ts not only pix size, and other sites do this also...

sometimes, not allways...but the width problems seem more prevalent here....
is something rong with my computer settings?? anyone help??

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Originally Posted by rjent

:agree: Good luck on the fixins. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
TO which I may inquire, why this thread is so wide on written material?? as are some others....requiring a horizontal scroll bar like about ten years ago on the internet?? i'ts not only pix size, and other sites do this also...

sometimes, not allways...but the width problems seem more prevalent here....
is something rong with my computer settings?? anyone help??
its because of the large pics, the determine how wide the page will be
nice car btw.

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Definetely has some work to be done but if you have the time and know how the vette will come out looking NICE congratulations:thumbsup:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
i just looked at the pictures small version why would anybode do that to a beautiful car like that they have to be:crazy: but again sure needs work but if you love it it will come back to life wishing you luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
saweet

i woulda taken that deal in a heart beat. well your gonna pay more for new t tops than you did the whole care, but i mean if the interior and motor have to be worked on, well then aftermarket it is :laughing: my 82 is all original, and running pretty smoothly, so im very hesitant about any aftermarket mod that ive thought about.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I resized the pics for you. Looks like a good deal to me I'd have drug that home but I drag most anything home.:laughing: Good luck with it.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
YOU resized the pics????? I just spent 15 minutes doing them myself:spanked:

Dammit!:laughing:
I am a master at resizing.:thumbsup: If you have windows just save them to your desktop and right click on it. One of the options is autoresize.

·
Registered
298 Posts
82 Vette $700

I had a similar experience. I bought a 74 Land cruiserF-40 for $900. I spent 1 month putting it back together. The owner a guy I worked with for years was feed up with the car and after letting it sit up for 4 years finally sold it to me to get it out of his sight. Well after I got the engine and transmission back together he and everyone else thought that I some how took advantage of him. Everyone was mad at me. To make matters worse I sold it for $3500. I hope nothing like this happens to you but watch out, the woman who sold it to you is flakey. I would have bought it in a heart beat, great buy you will have fun get your DAD involved he will enjoy it also.....:agree: :agree:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
the question is WHY WOULD ANYBODY LET THIS HAPPEN?:crazy:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Congrats! Dude. :thumbsup:

You make me sick.........:D

My '81 isn't in much better shape than yours,
(But it is all original and all there) and I paid
$2500.00 for mine.
I always felt it was too much.:bang

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
This is the kind of car - consider the fact it was left for dead - that has "custom/inovation/trick/pro-touring/high-tech/wicked/wild/one-of-a-kind/ written all over it.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
This is the kind of car - consider the fact it was left for dead - that has "custom/inovation/trick/pro-touring/high-tech/wicked/wild/one-of-a-kind/ written all over it.

:laughing: :laughing: :rolling: :agree:
Got that straight, Chris, that is the deal of a lifetime, the paint is in better shape than mine too boot.....

I"d buy that in a heartbeat....900 bux....some guys don't NEED a gun, just a smile.....:devil:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lots of work ahead

Thanks for all the replies.. and help with the picture resizing. I am looking at this as a 5 year project to get it to where it is presentable and drivable in a parade tpye of project. My father is a mechanic... which he really likes the fact that it can be a great project for an old school mechanic ie.-not to reliant on computers. I guess I am really lucky not only in that aspect, but my father in law is a vette fan andan upholsterer in Ft. Walton Beach Fl. He has already offered to get what I need wholesale and help with the interior. I am still in disbelief that I has a Corvette. I too also wonder "how could anybody let this happen to car?:WTF " My largest worries are the wiring harness (which was cut and chopped for the larger engine of unknown type), and the little detailes where there is slight rust or just wear and tear.

I lloked the engine and there is a tab on the block on the right side near the water pump. It is on the front of the engine. Would this be the numbers I need to ID the engine? I will post the numbers later when I get myself out of the house.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.. and help with the picture resizing. I am looking at this as a 5 year project to get it to where it is presentable and drivable in a parade tpye of project. My father is a mechanic... which he really likes the fact that it can be a great project for an old school mechanic ie.-not to reliant on computers. I guess I am really lucky not only in that aspect, but my father in law is a vette fan andan upholsterer in Ft. Walton Beach Fl. He has already offered to get what I need wholesale and help with the interior. I am still in disbelief that I has a Corvette. I too also wonder "how could anybody let this happen to car?:WTF " My largest worries are the wiring harness (which was cut and chopped for the larger engine of unknown type), and the little detailes where there is slight rust or just wear and tear.

I lloked the engine and there is a tab on the block on the right side near the water pump. It is on the front of the engine. Would this be the numbers I need to ID the engine? I will post the numbers later when I get myself out of the house.

Thanks
Yep. Post the #s, someone will be able to ID it.
As for the wiring, Lectric Limited has new ones. Wait to choose. With the computer stuff gone, an '80 underhood harness might be your best bet.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts