Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All. I've been looking around and I see that you have a really great setup here. Now, here's a problem I've been having for some time. I have a 1984 Corvette Coupe in need of everything except a CD deck. It has an Alpine CDA-9813 deck in it. I have holes in the doors, dash and hatch for factory replacement, with the bose enclosures gone. I removed the frame and lid off the rear storage compartments so now it is just 2 large holes in my floor. In the passenger side one I want to mount one 8" or 10" sub sealed facing up. I want to flush mount an amp into the drivers side one. I am recarpeting the hatch so it all blends together when done. I Only want to run one amp in my system. I have the following Alpine amps.

50x2 @4ohms RMS
70x2 @2ohms RMS
140x1 @4ohms RMS bridged

200x1 @4ohms RMS
350x1 @2ohms RMS

I want to run the speakers off the deck amp (60x4max @4ohms) and in 2 of the 3 factory locations. Which locations should I use? I am also wondering about brands. I was thinking either a JL Audio 10W0 sub, JL 10W3v2 or an Alpine Type S or Type R. I want decent sound quality, but it still has to provide a bit of bump due to the open nature of the vehicle when I have the targa top off. The coaxial speakers I am considering are Alpine Type S or JL Audio TR Series. If anyone can help me on which mounting locations to use, which speakers and sub to buy and which amp I should use that would be great. I listen to mostly rock with some rap, techno, punk and top40 mixed in there as well. Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance. Oh, and if there are any products I missed that may better suit my needs, feel free to suggest them. I am really leaning towards one of the JL Audio subs, however, because of the protection the optional integrated grille offers. Plus I have used a 12W3v2 and was satisfied with it, just it wont fit into this application. Thanks. This is my first Vette and it is different than anything I've ever dealt with for audio before. I tried one system already and failed miserably.
Thanks.

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Did you get your car with the bose already taken out, or did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed it myself. The front two speakers were shot, the rear two amps were shot and the cassette deck shorted out and would not turn off (when i bought it the deck was run off a toggle switch. I found a website that gave excellent step by step instructions on how to remove everything. Now I just need to replace and know what to replace it all with.

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
I have an aftermarket deck.. I still have the bose speakers.

I want to get those bose out. Do you have the link to the website that explains how to take out the speakers.

I have read with the front speakers that you have to almost take the door completely apart. Lame. Now, with the rear speakers they just un screw/bolt.. right?

I want to get some 6x9s in the rear. Christmas is coming up and I need to bump some "rock around the christmas tree"

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rears are the easy part. I figured those out when i sound deadened my hatch. You just take off the grille,lift up the carpet, and keep taking out visible screws until the little box lifts right out. disconnect the speaker lead and you'll be set to go. It was about 8 months ago when I did it (one of my first projects), so i cant really remember the details. I'm still in the process of the front enclosures as I continue sound deadening. I have 2 web pages that may be able to help you though.

http://www.corvettejunction.com/frontamp.html

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalCorvetteFspk89.htm

hope that helps. Once I figure out what I'm running for equipment I'll be set to rock too.

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Thanks! Good info there...

What speakers do you plan to use for the front?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This Summer I just ran JL Audio 6.5" VR coaxials in the factory door locations. Didn't sound good at all. They were too big to point and the sound was really low. Now I am planning on either a pair of Alpine Type S 4x6 in the Dash and 5.25 in the doors or the same configuration with JL Audio TR series 4" with 4x6 adapter in the dash and 5.25" in the doors. I was also thinking of Infinity Kappa plate speakers that a friend of mine has (if they'll fit) in the 4x6 holes in the dash and some sort of midbass in the doors. Even just a 5.25" midbass/midrange in the doors and a pair of tweeters in the dash may work. I have a lot of options I'm considering, but There is snow on the ground here right now, so I have a lot of time before I have to make the decision. I know I am definitely going to be running a sub in the rear passenger storage compartment. I took the lids and frame off so I'll have room to flush-mount the thing with the floor. A single 10" or 8" will do just fine in that small car. I ran a 12" this summer in a box at the back of the hatch and was very unsatisfied. Too boomy and not fast enough for my taste. I was thinking of running 6x9's in the rear factory holes, but the only problem is that I want all the music up front. Maybe I'll just use them for a little bit of rear fill so the back of the car does not sound completely hollow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts