Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read my first post and realized that it made almost no sense to even me and it added a lot of complication where it did not need to be. What I'm looking for is just a simple stereo system with clear and well-imaged mids and highs and adequate bass to provide a little extra bump (nothing boomy or vision-blurring). Only front speakers and the sub directly behind the passenger seat to bring the bass up front a little more. Not a lot of power has to be used and I only want to use one amp. If anyone has any pics or suggestions, that would be a huge help. It's hard to find and good ideas for simple sound quality systems in early C4's.

Also, what would be a good security system upgrade for my car? It has the factory alarm and it even still works (unlike the factory stereo):(

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Both are really good questions. I'm not an expert in this field, but can tell you that you can make just about any head unit fit. You could build an 8 or 10" sub in the rear (again, just about any) and you can get away with a lower end amp.

If you don't plan to do the install yourself, I would go to your trusted audio place and tell them what your plans are, what kind of music you listen too, and what your budget is.

There are simply too many options.

I am an ex-competition stereo guy. I've had systems that would make your ears bleed, blur your vision and cause trauma to your internal organs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have an aftermarket stereo hooked up to my boses speakers without the bose amps...it sounds ok....I am kinda interested to see the replies you get cause I would like to upgrade my stereo also!:lookinup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to be into the competition thing, but now I've realized that it's just not worth it. Why have a stereo that's too crazy to listen to? Just this summer I had an insane one in the Vette. A single 12" sub facing up at the back of the hatch run off a cool 400 watts RMS. In a tiny car like that it was WAY too much. I put in a bass test cd and dove out of the car. Just about threw up, but I got out fast enough. Thats the reason I want to downsize. Just a simple single sub sealed. For highs I used a pair of 6.5" in the doors. Just didn't cut it. Sound was way too low no matter how they were pointed. I'm probably going to go with a pair of 4x6 plate speakers in the factory dash holes and possible some 5.25" in the factory door location for a little more up-front midbass and my single sub in the back. Deck power or amp power I'm not sure yet. I have a nice little 200 watt RMS @ 4ohm sub amp for my bass, and a 50watt x2 RMS @ 4ohm amp for migh/midrange, but I only really want to run one amp. Keep things balanced and tidy in the hatch, plus run smaller power wire. Speaking of amps, where is there a good ground in the hatch area? I ran the cable down to the passenger seat mount this summer, but it didn't look that pretty. I'm going to look at some nice 4x6 plates at my audio dealer on Friday. I'll let you guys know how my quest goes. So far I have a nice deck with a full EQ, Crossover and Time delay built in, the two amps and my sub and 6.5's. The sub and 6.5's for sure won't be going in again. the sub amp definitely will. I may just use the 60x4max deck amp for my highs and mids depending on their power rating. The simpler the system the better sounding it seems. I fully sound deadened the car too, so noise won't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never listen to a salesman. "Well, for only 2000 bucks we can put these in your dash, then you still need a bigger mid amp and a sub w/ amp. Now here's where its going to get pricey." I go in there with 400 bucks and came out with 400 bucks. Just cuz a guy drives a vette people think he's made of money. Simple stereo is all I ask for, but no. I think I'm going to run a single 10" sealed in the rear passenger compartment and a pair of tweeters in the dash and midrange in the doors. 4 channel amp in the drivers side compartment. Front 2 channels to the componenets and the rear two bridged to run the sub. Now I just need to pick a brand............

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stereotypes do suck. But this salesman really was a wang. He wasn't going to let me decide on anything by myself. "You don't want that. Trust me. What you want is this." If everything but the one brand was garbage, why would you sell the rest? Hmmmmm. Kinda makes ya think a little. Think to no conclusion, but think nonetheless. Next time I go I'm gonna talk to the new guy. They are usually looking to make their first big sale and they'll point the good points out in any product.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally talked to a friend of mine in the competition field of car audio and he is helping me with my little setup. CD/MP3 Alpine head unit. JL Audio 3/4" silk tweeters in either the doors or the dash (whichever sounds best in our test). JL Audio 5.25" midrange in the factory door locations. JL Audio crossovers hidden in the doors or under the dash. All of that powered by an Alpine 50x2 amp. JL Audio 6.5" 2 way's in the factory rear locations run off deck power and faded out a fair bit to add slight rear fill to keep the back from sounding hollow. A JL Audio 12" sub flush mounted in the passenger side storage compartment facing up, run off a 350x1 Alpine amp. Its very similar to the setup in his civic, and in there it sounds absolutely AMAZING! It can get loud if the need be, but its geared mainly for crisp clear sound. Funny, a guy who listens to lots of rock and metal going for clarity. I wonder if some classical music fans go for ignorantly loud?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts