Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car had been sitting for some time B4 I got it. Charged battery - all good. Battery dies a couple of times so I installed a new battery. If left over night it will drain down to the point it won't fire.Key on gives solid turn signals and high beam illuminated.

Sometimes the starter will chatter and the engine barely rolls ahead a bit.it
Checked shop manual -

Battery good - alt charging - checked main grounds - charged fully and removed hot wire from Alt and left overnight - still the battery was drained.

Jumped ground from battery to starter - no go.
Any body else run into this ?:huh:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Get a digital volt/ohm meter and check current draw with a charged battery. Check the draw with all fuses in, then start pulling fuses. This should tell you what circuit is causing the drain. I had a similar problem with my 84. It would be fine as long as I started it every couple of days, but would be dead after three days. I tracked mine down to the computer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a draw problem w/ my 84, the oil pressure sender was bad, keeps the fuel pump on even though the key was off. They had a mid year change in sending units & I found a service bulletine on it. You could hear the pump run if you listened closely.
There are also a couple fuses behind the info center, I think the one that powers the security system is there.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks ...will do
what ultimately was the computer problem?

trapper77
I didn't fix the computer. The replacement was fairly cheap so I just replaced it. After hours of pulling fuses and hair out, I measured the total current draw then the draw going straight to the computer and found that almost all the drain was going to the computer. I think there are other related threads on here. Do a search and you will probably find more info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drain

Thanks. I have searched a number of times but may not have have been choosing the correct key words. Will follow up and thanks again.
Trapper 77

1 - 6 of 6 Posts