Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to replace the wheels on my 84 with something a little more stylish. Maybe a ZR1 or GS wheel or something. What would 4 stock black-centered 16" 84 wheels go for used? There is no real damage to them. I'm going to clean them up and maybe re-clearcoat them. A few small scrapes, no big curb marks. I would like to stick to 16" wheels if possible for a little better ride quality, but if I have to go up to 17 so be it. Where is a good place to buy from?

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
muddpile said:
I have decided to replace the wheels on my 84 with something a little more stylish. Maybe a ZR1 or GS wheel or something. What would 4 stock black-centered 16" 84 wheels go for used? There is no real damage to them. I'm going to clean them up and maybe re-clearcoat them. A few small scrapes, no big curb marks. I would like to stick to 16" wheels if possible for a little better ride quality, but if I have to go up to 17 so be it. Where is a good place to buy from?
Most people say AFS... http://www.afswheels.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
AFS Sucks! If I had to do it again I woulda spent more, got adapters & bought GM wheels!:( I just read a nasty post on the other forum about them!:( I have a set of stock 84 wheels with tires I cant even get $100.00 for....you should keep the wheels as spares in case it ever goes to a body shop Or possibly mount drag radials to race!:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I got my ZR-1's for a great price from OE wheel out of Sarasota, Fl. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. Originals worthless. That sucks..... Oh well. I guess that's why they came with the car. Why aren't AFS any good? I've never really heard anything about them. They look sharp, but looks are often deceiving.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
You are a lucky guy! Seriously.

I have an 85 Vette with the same basic chassis offset as the 84 (all the same 84-87).

Here is the coooooool deal. You can install the real deal....17x11 (yes I said 11") ZR1 rims on the back of your car. They fit very nice, where they won't fit on a 88-96 without sticking out and needing flares.

You can then put aftermarket, or stock with adapter ZR1/five spoke on the front of the car.

Take it from me...it looks VERY hot!

I will take some pics of Frankenvette and upload to my website soon.

·
Registered
0 Posts
69MyWay said:
You are a lucky guy! Seriously.

I have an 85 Vette with the same basic chassis offset as the 84 (all the same 84-87).

Here is the coooooool deal. You can install the real deal....17x11 (yes I said 11") ZR1 rims on the back of your car. They fit very nice, where they won't fit on a 88-96 without sticking out and needing flares.

You can then put aftermarket, or stock with adapter ZR1/five spoke on the front of the car.

Take it from me...it looks VERY hot!

I will take some pics of Frankenvette and upload to my website soon.
Thanks for that info...I want the bigger in the back someday!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks awesome! Where would I buy the real deal ZR1 wheels? Would I go down to the local GM dealer and get a pair, or is there a better source? Also where would be a good source for front wheels? I live in Canada, so getting stuff across the border is a bitch, but if I have to get a set of nice rims from the States I can deal with customs, duty etc.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
One important note.

My front rims are the real deal in terms of make and OFFSET. On the 84-87 cars..IF you run the actual or direct replacement rim you will have to have spacers.

Here is what I would do if I was you.

Get a set of aftermarket reproduction ZR1 rims set at the true ZR1 offset for a 90-95 ZR1. Then, get the aftermarket ZR1 five spoke wheels for the front MADE FOR THE 84-87.

That way, you don't have to get spacers, you get the exact same look, and you might save some money.

I think www.tpis.com sells the wheels. Look in the back of any Vette or Chevy performance magazine and you will find several companies selling the reproductions. Finally, check e-bay. There are always rims there.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot! Tomorrow I'll begin my quest for the perfect set of rims. People think the tires and rims I have right now look intimidating................ If they only knew what I was planning right now.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
I have great news for you. I found a fellow selling a set of ZR1 rims with the 11" in the rear.

He is asking $800 or best offer. I am waiting now to get more details on the wheels so I can share with you.

It sounds as if the price is negotiable. I saw another set that were not the 11" rear in chrome just go for $700 (new in the box).

Not a bad price at all, for that super hot look of the Z on your 84.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What color are they? I'm looking for the silver powdercoat ones. Not a big fan of polished aluminum or chrome unless its on someone else's car (too much maintenance). Also, I'll have to contact Canada Customs to see how much it would cost to get a set of rims over the border. And I'll have to see how much tires will be at my local tire shop. A little strapped for cash at the moment. 11" in the rear would be nice, but not really necessary.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Here is what the seller just emailed me:

They are OEM brand and they are CHROME not polished or painted. Retail is over 1,300. I'm selling them for half.
You can reach him here:

[email protected]

The real chrome plated ones do look nice.

I think this is an EXCELLENT deal for the real thing.

You would only need to purchase spacers for the front wheels to get these on your car (oh...and rubber as well).

The chroms is not hard to take care of compared to the way the clear coat eventually goes bad on the standard argent silver painted finish does.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chrome does look pretty sharp. And stripping clearcoat is a bitch. Good to know that the painted ones have clearcoat blasted on too. What is involved in the maintenance of the chrome wheels? Some chrome polish once in a while and keep em clean? Where would I buy spacers? What series tires would I run now? Would my speedo be correct still? I think I'm going to hold off on this set for now (still trying to sell a few things) but for when I'm ready I want to get a real set. 11" would look sharp.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
This deal is even better than I thought.

These wheels have already been set for the 84-87 offset, so no spacer needed.

Your speedo won't change, as the 315 tire is about the same size tall as your stock.

Here is what he told me:

I just checked Ecklers catalog and these wheels have the offsets to bolt
directly to 84-87 corvettes. No adapters are required. The 9.5 are
$324.99 and the 11" are 419.99. That puts the set at $1489.96. I'll take
$750. That's a heck of a deal.
Sal

·
Banned
9 Posts
AFS sucks !! What people don't understand is that the original GM 5 spokes were much lighter and required alot less weight to balance them. The new AFS wheels use adapters yo get the correct wheel spacing.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I do buy, I'll definitely go genuine GM. No other company seems like they do them as well. If only I could lift the $750 right now...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just found an alternative to the ZR1 rims! I saw a vette today with torque thrust II's on it. Looked sweet! And I checked American Racings website and apparently they have a backspacing that will work. Talk about a nice looking rim that I can even buy locally. Score!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts