Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i stopped at the gas station last night and i get out of the car and go in the store then get back in the car and it won't turn over, it just gives out a whirling sound and occasionaly an ear screEching "SCHKUUUUNG" type sound. Could this be a belt problem? I know it's not an electrical problem because all the lighting and lamps and etc are working perfectly.

· Registered
4,479 Posts
:agree: probably not catching the flywheel

· Registered
1,561 Posts
OH GOD .............THE DREADED STARTER REPLACE,
1. HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF BANDAGES READY
2. KEEP ALL SMALL CHILDREN AWAY(PROFANTIY ALERT}
3. BE PERPARED ,(HAVE A MIM OF A 12 PACK ON HAND]
4. DO NOT HAVE A BUNCH OF BUDDIES LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER,THIS COULD BE VERY ENBARSIN.FLYING TOOLS ARE DANGEROUS
5. BEFORE YOU ATTEMP,PRAY TO THE GOD,S THAT THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM,AND ASK ZORA FOR FORGIVENESS:thumbsup: :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK WITH IT.i WILL SEND OUT A SEARCH AND RESCUE WITH YOU DONT KEEP US INFORMED.:cheers:

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've done a little more research on this forum and saw the "89 won't turn over" thread. And some members were talking about VATS and bypassing it or whatever. I thought my car didn't have this but after reading these posts I think it just might, my key does have a pellet on it and my cars horn was going off like crazy whenever i opened the door, even when the doors were unlocked, the horn would go off for a good 3 minutes or so and then just stop. I stopped it for good when I was at a gas station by sticking my key into the drivers side door and the honking halted. But after I did this the car wouldn't start the first time i tried starting it, it just kinda whirled like it does now, but it started right back up on the second try. BTW, the car decided not to start period the same day. Can VATS be the problem, and if it is, what can i do to bypass it?

· Registered
217 Posts
starter motor has this little solonoid in it that pushes the teeth out on the starter motor and engages them with the flywheel. yours is worn out and slow reacting.

your starter is spinning, thats the whirling sound.
when your solonoid finaly tries to engage the teeth they are spinning quickly already and grind like crazy agianst the flywheel making the horrid screech noise you stated.

your car can still start and run, but your starter is going bad. if corvettes wernt so dang low, id say crawl under car and hit starter with the wooden end of a hammer, next time it starts acting up. heck, I drove my pontiac like that for over a month.

· DC Crew
32,928 Posts
The easiest way to get the starter out is put long tube headers on your car. :laughing:
It's not that bad of a job, really just go at it and be prepared to spent a little time under there.
No your car doesn't have VATS.

· Registered
671 Posts
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm even running a 168 tooth flex-plate(instead of stock 153) and a high torque caprice classic police issue starter which has a little bigger case than your stock one, and can change it in no time. Exhaust is kind of in the way, but shouldn't be too much of a problem if you can get your car up high enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.