Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my Father in laws 85 vette down to a local shop to have some gear installed. Me and my wife are visiting and had bought the following gear online for his birthday and fathers day:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P77DH
Fronts (door): Polk Audio db650
Rears: Polk Audio db690

Immediately the front sales guy started in on how the 6.5" Polk may not fit and we should chose something he sells to have a back up. His prices we ridiculous. I knew the Polks would fit if the did the job right. I told him to proceed and call me if they ran into a problem.

10 minutes after we left he called and started telling me about the vettes inner door skin and how removing the Bose "pod" would require messing with the window tracks and that it could take 2-3 hours per door to get them in and realign the window tracks.

At this point I just said forget the fronts and install the deck and rears. He agreed. I asked how much it would be and he paused and I asked "about $100?" He said it should be below that.

My Father in law picked the car up just a while ago and I came outside to listen. I stuck my head in the door and could hear sound coming from the front doors. Apparently they cut the wire from the "pod" Bose amp and hooked the 4" speaker up to the new head unit. From what I know this is a big no-no. First off it sounds terrible because the EQ processing from the Bose unit is gone. Secondly, aren't the Bose speakers 1 ohm speakers? I am afraid he is going to roast his new HU.

I called the shop back and he said that the Bose speakers are 2.2ohm and there will be no problem at all. "We do it all the time" Anyone here agree with him?

In a few weeks my Father in law will be over where we live 100+ miles away and I can have one of my friends at a great shop install the fronts. Its in the meantime that I worry. Would you run those crappy 4" speaker off an aftermarket HU?

Oh. by the way, he charged him $120 and change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found out that he hooked up the door speakers and the dash speakers together. Hopefully they are wired in series.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts