Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've asked this question in the past and it has almost been a year since then but I'm going to give it another shot.

My cluster doesn't work and it hasn't since I've owned the car. When I first obtained my vette, the cluster worked fine until it came back from some shop to fix an issue where my car wouldn't start.

I picked it up and drove it back to my house then I popped my hood... I noticed that a wire had been burned in half ( one end coming out from the firewall near the master cylinder as for the other half was going down toward the negative ground under the block ). When I had gone under there to replace my negative battery cable, I noticed that there was a wire, which also went to the ground, that had an "O" with two wires coming out of it going up some where, although one had been completey burned off. Does this have to do anything with my cluster not working or powering up anymore ?

I'll post some pictures to clarify moreover what I mean later today when I get the chance.

If you need more information I'll try to give you as much of my knowledge so we can try to figure this out. I've been driving my vette for almost a year now without a cluster ( spedometer, gas, temp, etc all of the most imporant readings )... lol, I haven't run out of gas, my car hasn't over heated, and I haven't gotten a speeding ticket :partyon: so at least I can feel how my car is reacting....

Any help would be appreciated.

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
First off get a shop manual for your vette, comes in real handy.

Sounds like you may have a broken ground wire comming through the fire wall, You have checked your fuses right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that was the first thought that came to mind. They're fine. When I first obtained my vette, I bought a copy of Chiltons handbook for the c4.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chilton and haines manuals are pretty good. But if you really want more in debth troubleshooting, A genuine GM manual, is the way to go. I have a test light that will detect hot wires AND ground wires. I picked it up from Snap On for about 180.00, but it is a big help in finding problems like this, because if a ground is broke, it will tell you. It plugs into your cigarette lighter and that provides a hot and ground for the test light. It has a bright white light on the front of it to light up areas under the dash etc. Then it has another light on top that lights up red when you probe a hot wire, and green when you probe a ground. Also it has a protection circuit built into it so it won't harm computers or set off air bags.(like old test lights can do)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts