Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a couple threads in the past about my cluster not working at all. Last week, I was anxious and decided to mess around with so it so I took it out of my vette. I cleaned it up a lil bit and decided to put it back in, so I did. I checked out the fuse again for it and it was fine but I replaced it anyway.

I drove down to the gas station ( cluster wasn't working ) and filled up about 25 dollars worth of 91. When I turned my car back on from the gas station, it powered up ! I had never seen it lit up before throughout my 1 year duration of owning it. I was happy.

There's only one problem, now. It decides to turn off and on, quite often. Usually when I decide to let off of my acceleration or break. Sometimes when I go over bumps, it restarts. It doesn't stay off for a long time and usually just restarts.

By restarting I mean that it's reading fine then everything lights back up without a reading then gives an accurate reading again, within 3 seconds or so.

Now:
Do you think the cluster itself is damaged and should be repaired, or does it sound like some kind of grounding issue ? Will the ground connection on the base of the engine ( where the negative battery cable goes ) affect this at all, if it was lose ? I had changed it in the past and I'm thinking maybe it's not on there completely tight.

What do you think ?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Sounds like an intermittant ground issue or an intermittant power feed issue. Either one could cause the symptoms you're describing.

Gordon Killebrew offers a book on troubleshooting and repairing the C4 digital cluster.

Steven

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Sounds like an intermittant ground issue or an intermittant power feed issue. Either one could cause the symptoms you're describing.

Gordon Killebrew offers a book on troubleshooting and repairing the C4 digital cluster.

Steven
:agree: That is what I would have said :laughing:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of who he was and now I do once I googled his name.

I'm most likely going to pick up his diagnostic book for $30.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts