Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an 86 that is listed for 2000. The catch is that the previous owner had an alarm installed and ever since the vette would not start.

I am thinking it might be something as simple as the Vats or just bad wiring. If this is the case what would be the worst case scenario for putiong back together and getting it running? what would be the things to look for to be able to tell what the possible issues are?

I am assuming that by now since the car has been sitting for around 4 years that the battery is dead and I will not be able to tell if the Security light comes on when the ignition is turned.

Any Ideas?

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
$2k is really cheap.

Worth checking out, if the rest of the car is in decent shape... that could be worth picking up. Your probably right about it being the VATS or starter disabler. Always worth looking into. If you like it and don't mind tinkering you could have yourself a cheap fixer-upper-street beast.

:cheers:

ALSO, read through this thread:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66277&highlight=exhaust+dash+top+paint

That will give you more ideas of what to look for when you go see the '86. Don't hesitate to take pictures and ask questions after you see it.

:partyon:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Gut feeling is that there very well may be more to the story than just an alarm issue. Without hearing it run, or driving it, you may end up with a $2000 parts car. What condition is the car in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No response yet

Not sure what the condition is yet. I am waiting for the owners reply to go out and take a look. could be a disaster could be a find. You never know until you check it out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wonder, if you could try and run a jump box to the starter motor, ( maby take off the main plug wire to the dist, to ensure car wont run ) and see if the motor will kick over. if it spins then thats great, if it wont spin, it could be locked up. stuck motors are good boat anchors. 2k for one would suck. then again, 2k for a vette that needs some tinkering would be soo sweet of a deal.

·
Only green will do...
18,391 Posts
be very very careful you may end up buying a lemon even though its fairly inexpensive i would be weary

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
$2000 is a rock bottom price for any Vette. I'd be tempted even if it does need work..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not getting back to me

I hate it when perople post ads and then don't reply. I have sent two or three emails in the last couple of days because that it the only form of contact on the add.

The guy p[robably already sold it and is not bright enough to tak eht elisting off or edit it with a sold disclaimer.

If they do get in ttouch with me and let me know if I can take a look at it I will reply to this post with details.

Tahnks again for all of your helpfull comments.

·
Only green will do...
18,391 Posts
can you say scam be carefull if its too good to be true well guess what dont be a sucker be carefull

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Hopefully the guy calls you back and it's a great deal, but on the other hand....

I had a buddy of mine fine one real similar to the one you found.....not running due to VATS problem and aftermarket alarm system. Well he got it running after about a year of tinkering with it. The car sat awhile at his house and then he sold it As Is. About 4 weeks later he gets a call from the guy who bought it telling him the motor blew up. :nuts:

Soooo.....I hope your luck is alot different than the guy who bought my buddies non-running fixer upper.

·
Only green will do...
18,391 Posts
but the price is very reasonable even if you had to install new engine the price is right

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have found an 86 that is listed for 2000. The catch is that the previous owner had an alarm installed and ever since the vette would not start.

I am thinking it might be something as simple as the Vats or just bad wiring. If this is the case what would be the worst case scenario for putiong back together and getting it running? what would be the things to look for to be able to tell what the possible issues are?

I am assuming that by now since the car has been sitting for around 4 years that the battery is dead and I will not be able to tell if the Security light comes on when the ignition is turned.

Any Ideas?
I would stay away from the thing. Thinking about it, the guys who installed the alarm, and tried to integrate it into the system with VATS, couldn't get it to work and they knew what they did to the wiring. When their install didn't work I would have expected them to try to put it back to what it started out a,s but since the sat for 4 years they obviously couldn't undo what ever they did. Given that they know what they did to it and couldn't get it running do you really want to pick up where they left off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No contact

Well I guess they really don't want to sell it. No replies on many attemps at contacting them.

My second option that is close to my price range is an 84 with the 4+3. the kid bought it for 4,000 put 600 in and will let it go for 3,500. If I can get this for 3500 or less how does that sound.

The black paint is fading and the rest of the issues are minor like lights retracting and opening is iffy(Probably vacume hoses), the E-brake needs adjusting and the horn does not work. I know big deal. It supposedly runs fine and shifts through the gears fine. I will have to test drive it to see if the OD is engaging.

Does anyone here have anything bad or good to say about the 4+3.?I am a standard only guy when it comes to driving performance cars and I cant imagine driving being any fun with an automatic.

Are there any option codes I should look for and where exactly are they on an 84? I have read in a lot of these forums that they are in the glove box but I have not seen an 84 and was not sure if that was under the passenger bumper that they have.

Well let me know what you think. I will be checking it out on Saturday.

Any Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for all of your helpfull comments.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
No personal experience, but I've heard the Doug Nash was problematic at best. I'd give it a complete road test for sure...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where are the option codes listed

Can someone tell me where the option codes are listed on an 84. I have a sheet printed out with all of the available 84 codes but I do not know where to find this on the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any help

1 - 20 of 23 Posts