Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 86 Vette with a 02 body kit. The engine and trans were blown, but the car came with a rebuilt Jasper engine and trans on a crate. Look like fun so I packed granny, Jeffro, and Elly May, drove up to NY and hulled it back.
I got everything running, just had to put on new tires, breaks, and shocks. It was on the road.
I did the manual switch thing. Living in the North East temps get 95 at times. With the manual fan switch driving around the 'burb the engine temps are around 195ish
On the highway, above 60 MPH, Engine temp goes to 215 and raising.
Slow down, temp goes down.
OK Air flow problem through the front end. My question is:
What it the airflow path for the radiator? Does everything come in through the holes in the bumpers the shrouds direct it to the radiator?

The fan shroud was not connected to the front bumper shirt. I figured open space was letting the air flow under the car instead of forcing it through the radiator. S0 I covered it up. (Pic below) Now the only air is being forced through the hole in the bumper,
But still runs hot.

Any feed back?

Vette_Front_Lower_body-06.jpg

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Do you know what t-stat temp you have, do you know what temp the fans come on at? A stock c4, fan on about 235* on about 215*, cant rememember the exact numbers, my c5, ran abut the same. These cars run hot from the factory. One reason is emissions.

·
Registered
424 Posts
that hole you covered up is definitely the primary air inlet for the radiator, so first things first, you're gonna wanna take that back off. next, at the rearmost edge of that opening you are going to want to make a short downward air dam 1-2" which is what most all c4's have factory that forces air upward and into the radiator.

also pull your upper radiator cover off and see if there's any debris blocking air flow around the radiator and condenser.

you said you also have a manual fan switch, so that eliminates that as being an issue.

edit:

also, 215 isnt really all that hot for a c4. 250-260 is where you should you concen yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I thought I saw a picture of a C5 where the front was covered. My bad.
Looks like making a scope to direct air up is my next move.
I did put a new radiator in and checked for leaves and such.
The termostat is a 190, I even drilled 3 1/8 holes around it to increase water flow. I know the Vettes run hot, hence the manual switch, but I want to keep mine as cool as possible. Not a fan of aluminum heads but it is what it is.
I'm going to make some slits in my cover, bend the back down and the front up to help direct air. That should at least put me in the proper direction. I'll let ya know how I make out.

Thanks again for the help
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts