Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 88 Vette that me and my son are restoring. Changed the fuel filter, (Not a job for a person with BIG HANDS!) Still will ot start. How can you check to see if the fuel pump is working? How do you change the fuel pump on the 88? Any other tricks that you guys can teach me???

Thanks

Louisiana Cajun

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Do you hear the pump when you turn the key on?

They really are not that hard to change, disconnect the hoses at the top of the tank (carefull not to rip them) I used a small flat screwdriver to work them loose.

Disconnect the power leads, remove the 8-10 10mm or 13mm bolts and slowly pull it out, it is on a angle for the pickup.

I tested by hooking up to 12 volts + and ground, if it doesn't whine, it is bad and change it out. I think it was 30-50 bucks at any auto parts store. Make sure to get the screen also...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am pretty sure You could check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail...If your pressure is low or non existant you need a fuel pump...also check your fuses...:thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
You should hear the pump prime the cold start injector, if you have one, when you turn the key. Otherwise ChiMan and 84 GRANDSPORT have some good info to go by. :cheers:

Cajun, keep us informed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
88 vette fuel pump problem

:excited:

would you Vette Guys give me a step by step procedure on changing the fuel pump? By the way, where is the pump fuse located? What is the amp size? Turned the key on and no sound!!!!

Drive Safe**********Drive Kewl

Louisiana Cajun

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
The Fuse is located in the fuse block, 4th row from the left last one down, 10A.

The pump is located IN the gas tank, open the fuel door, take off the cap, (I would remove the whole fuel door with torx screws) CAREFULLY slowly remove the black rubber cap and disconnect the drain hose and follow the directions below, if you get stuck ask questions...

ChiMan said:

They really are not that hard to change, disconnect the hoses at the top of the tank (carefull not to rip them) I used a small flat screwdriver to work them loose.

Disconnect the power leads, remove the 8-10 10mm or 13mm bolts and slowly pull it out, it is on a angle for the pickup.

I tested by hooking up to 12 volts + and ground, if it doesn't whine, it is bad and change it out. I think it was 30-50 bucks at any auto parts store. Make sure to get the screen also...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts