Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I am relatively new to this forum and as a Corvette owner of so bear with me. I recently swapped out my factory radiator with an aftermarket aluminum Cold Case radiator to keep the temp down. Upon getting it back I opened the radiator just check and it was about a third of the way low so I added fluid to it and started reading. Much of what I seen was that I needed to burp the system to eliminate air pockets and make the system run right. This is when my problem began the first thing I did was bought a burping kit did what it said and when the car got to temperature it turned into Old faithful creating a huge mess. So I read more seen that there are burping valves but can't seem to locate them. At this point I thought I would try the burping kit that I bought again let the temp get up to about 195 when I realized that air bubbles were coming up but the coolant level in the funnel was also raising. This has got my mind bent what am I doing wrong is there something I need to know I'd appreciate any help from you professionals and seasoned Corvette vets. Thank you and any criticism on how I'm using this forum I will understand.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,103 Posts
I don't know about an 89 specifically but with a small block Chevy it can take 15-20 minutes to cycle the air out of the systm. Leave the radiator cap off and watch for either bubbles or a drop in coolant level. Another thing you could try is to remove the upper hose and seal the end with your hand then squeeze the hose hard quite a few time while periodically checking the level n the hose. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I drilled 2 small holes in the thermostat. I noticed some replacement stats come predrilled.See the little tang on the left.I f ya havent be sure to turn on the heater to circulate the anti freeze.

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
be aware that theres a small chance, if it keeps showing air in the coolant ,
you might be dealing with a leaking head gasket issue or cracked head or block
btw the suggestion to drill a couple holes in the t-stat is a good idea

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since the radiator cap is lower than the thermostat , you need to raise the front with ramps or a floor jack then fill the system

·
Registered
1 Posts
The air cooling in this car is a big problem. The engine is always overheating while driving fast for a long time because the radiator gap is too small for a big engine. If the car is with the biggest engine for Corvette, you will surely notice that the engine is often overheating. In such cases, you will need to improve the cooling system of the car. The best solution is to make a consultation with an AC master at airconservicing.org, so he can find the best solution that you can find at the moment for your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts