Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
I'm not 100% sure I purchase the car already built from a friend whose father passed away. How would I find that out by looking at the chip on the ECM?
We don't have to keep going in circles here. I have laid out your solution. What are you going to do at this point? Buy TunerC.A.T.S., learn how to tune and use an old tuning software and usb chip burner just so you can compare .bin files with a known stock tune? FAST easy efi 2.0 is self tuning. It asks a few questions on setup and then it just becomes painfully accurate and stable the longer it runs. And .080 over is I'm pretty sure cheese grater territory, isn't it? I mean how long is that gonna last anyways?

So now you need to step back and assess the value of the car which is a C4 and add that to the known fact that your engine is on it's LAST rebuild, and then divide that by the cost of the FAST fuel injection conversion and understand better the situation you are in. Is it worth it to upgrade your fuel injection system on your car? Well I don't know? Is it worth it to YOU?

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Grunpy's site has a lot of great information. The one thing that I would check first is the Throttle Position Sensor. Sometimes they can fail and not throw a code. If you have a meter try this:

Locate the sensor on the side of the throttle body near the front of the engine. Insert a straight pin into the electrical connector, alongside the dark blue wire in the center of the connector, until it contacts the terminal inside the connector.

Clip the red (Positive) meter lead to the straight pin and the black (Negative) meter lead to engine ground (a bolt or other metal part on the engine). Turn the ignition key to "Run" but do not start the engine.

Open the throttle slowly, by moving the throttle cable with your hand, while watching for a drop-out in voltage. The voltage should rise smoothly from less than 2 volts (Throttle Closed) to 4.5 volts (Throttle Open). If the voltage suddenly drops to zero and then comes back, replace the sensor. This is a dynamic test, and it isolates the TPS from other things that could be causing the malfunction.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This has also brought about the solution to long cranking times as cycling the key twice before cranking to make the car start right up. How many early C4 owners know this trick? :laughing:
Yes, great tip, however, I don't mind my engine taking a couple of more seconds to fire up because then I know that my oil has gotten around.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts