Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 89 coupe. The parking brake decided to quit working yesterday. OK, long weekend it can be checked out. Went to the parts store today - looked down and there was a small diameter rod wedged between a couple of lines in the parking brake area.

Not sure if it is part of the problem or not. Looks like a welding rod about 5/16" diameter x 9"long. Beige non metallic with a taper on one end. Some sort of resin type material. By any chance would this be a part of the parking brake handle release mechanism? Never been into this area and so far cannot find any good pictures of the assembly. Anyone have any ideas? :lookinup: Sorry about no pictures - the digital camera went on vacation.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Did the parking brakes stop working all together or is it just not "catching" to engage/stay?

I have a 89 handle and assembly, but like you my camera is dead...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake is basically not "catching". You can feel the cable move and hear activity in the brake area. That was why I was wondering if that fiber rod was part of the locking mechanism. It looked like it worked its way down from the top, had a hard time getting it out without doing damage to the lines. Thanks for the rapid response. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
There should not be any loose parts in the mechanism.

Check to see if that piece could be the pawl that engages the drive selector.

In case you need to replace the unit check with Contemporary Corvette (link on my site) for a used one. They run a large Vette bone yard in easter PA and also vend new Vette parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion. Running a 6 speed, not an automatic. Sounds like it may just be coincidence on the timing - hopefully it is just some road debris that wanted to confuse the issue. Will keep that parts link on file, believe I had it last year but lost it when my hard drive died. ;) :excited: :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts