Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why must everything be a learning experience? (LOL)

I need to replace the hazzard flasher in my '90. The shop manual indicates that the unit is on the right hand side of the radio cluster and I should be able to access it through the passenger Kick Panel - but I can't figure out how to remove it.

I removed the two bolts directly under the knee pad area. It now flexes in the middle, but is pinned against the heater duct outlet on the left and "something" on the right side. From the shop manual diagram, it looks like I need to remove a bolt or two from under the fuse block cover.

I've removed the two (on top and botton of the block), but am having trouble with the 3rd bolt that is flush by the lock mechanism - can't get a socket seated on the head, not enough clearance with the surrounding plastic.

Am I missing something - am I on the right track?

Thanks -

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my feeling - and my problem.

As I mentioned, I have been able to remove 2 of the 3 screws on the fuse panel surround - but am unable to put a socket on the 3rd (and final) screw.

Do I need to go out and purchase a thin wall socket to fit that bold head? It appears to be almost flush with the surrounding material because of the close proxmity to the fuse cover lock. The diamater of the indentation is not quite large enough to seat my socket over the bolt head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked again - not a combo head.

Just a standard 7mm head - no Torx...

The bolt head is flush for all practical purposes. There is just a hair of the bold head showing above the plastic panel, the majority is in the recessed hole. Can't get any bite with my socket or wrench.

I guess I'll go shopping for a thin wall socket and see if I have any luck.... YUK!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm perplexed -

Just made the rounds of sears, ace and home depot - no one has a socket thinner than the craftsman I already have.

Looked at the panel again - it still appears that I need to remove all 3 screws to remove the fuse box end shroud.

There has to be someway to remove it - the factory installed it in the first place.

Wondering if a 7mm ignition wrench box end would fit...

Almost would seem earlier to try drilling out the screw head and using a stud extractor to remove (but I try and restrain myself).

AHHHHHHH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it -

Tried the hammer, but did not seem to seat under "moderate" tapping.

Finally leaned into the socket with my body and continued turning for about 30 seconds - the screw loosened from the friction with the socket.

Needless to say, I'll replace it with either a phillips or a Torx head screw when I reassemble...

Now into the dash and just replaced the emergency hazard flasher! Mission Accomplished.

(I misread the shop manual. I thought the flasher was next to the radio head - actually next to the radio receiver box - between the main fuse block and the auxiliary fuse block)

Many Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts