Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

91 L98 stalls at stoplights...

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  87vettconv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone~

I'm looking at a 6 speed '91 L98 'vette (coupe) in beautiful shape at a very good price. The car has one noticable issue. Runs fine when parked and cold. When it moves and then comes to a stop, it stalls. Runs good at speed no hesitation or anything else that it shouldn't do. Just stumbles then stalls at stoplights, etc. I've read extensively in the archives, tips, and forums and know the first thing I should do is check the OBD for codes and clues. I've cut and pasted an extensive list of things that could be the cause of this issue. (thanks everyone!) Fuel filter, pump, ICM, dirty throttle body, plugged cats, TPS, and yep a whole list of other things.

My question is this:

Without the codes, would you all humor me and give your best guess about what are the most likely culprits from most likely to least likely. (Top five candidates maybe?) I'll get the codes as soon as I can.

Thank you all.

~Doug

#3 ·
Muirwylde said:
Hello Everyone~

I'm looking at a 6 speed '91 L98 'vette (coupe) in beautiful shape at a very good price. The car has one noticable issue. Runs fine when parked and cold. When it moves and then comes to a stop, it stalls. Runs good at speed no hesitation or anything else that it shouldn't do. Just stumbles then stalls at stoplights, etc. I've read extensively in the archives, tips, and forums and know the first thing I should do is check the OBD for codes and clues. I've cut and pasted an extensive list of things that could be the cause of this issue. (thanks everyone!) Fuel filter, pump, ICM, dirty throttle body, plugged cats, TPS, and yep a whole list of other things.

My question is this:

Without the codes, would you all humor me and give your best guess about what are the most likely culprits from most likely to least likely. (Top five candidates maybe?) I'll get the codes as soon as I can.

Thank you all.

~Doug
This only happens when warm?

Could be the IAC motor and more then likely is. If it was the fuel filter I would say it would happen all the time.

I clean the TB and IAC, the motor might be good, just not set correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.