Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i think i found the problem i took my car out tody and hooked up the ez link my main focus was knock retard and yes 1st and 2nd gear at wot i had knock retard. i went wot a few times and noticed it went as high as 5 some were 4,3 now what??? can a bad distrutor cause this a bad pick up coil and so on???????

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
6SPD said:
okay i think i found the problem i took my car out tody and hooked up the ez link my main focus was knock retard and yes 1st and 2nd gear at wot i had knock retard. i went wot a few times and noticed it went as high as 5 some were 4,3 now what??? can a bad distrutor cause this a bad pick up coil and so on???????
I assume the 5, 4,3 are degrees of knock retard, right, not knock counts

What is the base timing at. What is changed on the car from stock?

Do you have an codes being set?

I am having a knock problem as well, but I am getting a code (I forgot what # the cocde was). In my case, I used the GM manual and walked through the steps. for my problem there are 3 parts, MEMCAL, ECM and Knock Sensor, all 3 were replaced and I am still getting the code. a friend had a similar problem to mine and said it was the Module in the Distributor, I will be replacing the module when I convert to the small Dist. with remote coil.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
6SPD said:
What is your car doing??? is there any codes??
knock retard always happens under load.... the computer is always trying to find the best timing, it will advance the timing untill it knocks then it retards it... If there is a problem and it's always retarded, it will set a code.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my timing is set at 6 btdc so i know it's not that. and i thought the Module in the Distributor, when it goes bad the car don't start i didn't know it has an effect like this

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
So you have an intermittant no start problem??
When the car does starts how does it run??
Does it crank & not start or just nothing??
Does it die when your driving or stall at stops??
ARE THERE ANY CODES???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no,no my car starts fine if you read 2 or 3 post's up the person said a friend had this problem with knock retard at wot and it was his ingition module

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
6SPD said:
my timing is set at 6 btdc so i know it's not that. and i thought the Module in the Distributor, when it goes bad the car don't start i didn't know it has an effect like this
I thought we were talking about your car:)
How does your car run??
are there any codes??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i have the wot knock retard happening i just checked for codes all is good what do you think about the distrubutor and the module????????

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If your car is running fine and there is no codes you might want to de-carbon the engine and buy some good Quality fuel, Clean the throttle body & make sure all your secondary Ignition parts are OK... so far it doesn't sound like you have a problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts