Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will removing or gutting the catalytic converters cause the computer problems or the check engine light to light up? If so, is there a fix?

As an option, are there any good hi flow cats that are actually "hi flow?"

I am planning on up grading to a Mangnaflow exhaust, but it would seem a waste of time and money if the cats are a huge restriction.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have random tech and they are about as highflow as I thinkk you could get. I did hear someone, but I cant remember who was making one cheaper

·
Registered
353 Posts
If there is o2 sensors after the cats then yes it will give a code if not then no. One alternative is to have the rear o2 sensors programmed out of your computer.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have random tech cats as well. Love them. You can tune the back O2's out so you won't see a code.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Will removing or gutting the catalytic converters cause the computer problems or the check engine light to light up? If so, is there a fix?

I am planning on up grading to a Mangnaflow exhaust, but it would seem a waste of time and money if the cats are a huge restriction.

Thanks
Jim
Jim, for a stock or modified 93 LT1 you will get no code whatsoever if you gut the cats.
The OEM cats really are pretty good flowing. The ZR-1 in 93 got the cats from the LT1, if that tells you anything.
And unless your engine is modified, ie heads cam etc, you will see virtually no gain in the exhaust change, unless you add long tube headers. Factory system isnt really bad at all.
What are you going to do with your cat back factory exhaust?
I have gone through many upgrades. My 93 had stock exhaust, then flowmaster cat back, tehn gutted cats and flowmaster. Then I did shorty headers. All the while never gaining any real hp, just a better sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cats...

Thanks
Jim

I think your best bet is to call Mangnaflow and ask them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Jim, for a stock or modified 93 LT1 you will get no code whatsoever if you gut the cats.
The OEM cats really are pretty good flowing. The ZR-1 in 93 got the cats from the LT1, if that tells you anything.
And unless your engine is modified, ie heads cam etc, you will see virtually no gain in the exhaust change, unless you add long tube headers. Factory system isnt really bad at all.
What are you going to do with your cat back factory exhaust?
I have gone through many upgrades. My 93 had stock exhaust, then flowmaster cat back, tehn gutted cats and flowmaster. Then I did shorty headers. All the while never gaining any real hp, just a better sound.
Steve
Thanks for the info.
This exhaust upgrade will be in conjuction with a gear change to 3.54. I have to admit, the new exhaust is as much for better sound as for added performance.

Jim

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just a note. I installed Magnaflow catback on my 93. Sounded much better. The factory cats are pretty good as is.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'll leave the cats alone, I ordered the Corvette Central straight pipe cat back set up with Magnaflow mufflers. Item 324148.

I also ordered a set of 3.54 gears, which from what I have read, will really wake the car up.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it all works out.

Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
I guess I'll leave the cats alone, I ordered the Corvette Central straight pipe cat back set up with Magnaflow mufflers. Item 324148.

I also ordered a set of 3.54 gears, which from what I have read, will really wake the car up.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it all works out.

Jim
Jim -

Let us know what you think about the exhaust combo you ordered. :thumbsup: Any chance of getting a video clip?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim -

Let us know what you think about the exhaust combo you ordered. :thumbsup: Any chance of getting a video clip?

You bet, as soon as I get it all together I plan to head to the track and I'll get a clip or two for you.
By the way, it was quite an honor to see my car in the new C4 catalog. Thanks for all the support you guys have show for our Beat the HEAT program.

Jim

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got the new Corvette Central straight exhaust/Magnaflows on today and took her to the track.

It is actually a little louder inside the car than I expected, especially at cruising RPM, but not so bad that I can't live with it.

The up side, the car normally runs 9.35-9.45 on our local 1/8 mile track, today (9-24-10) it ran a 9.18 (my best at that track) and a 9.20. MPH went from about 76 to 77.8. In fact, it actually spun the tires on launch from idle, which it didn't before. So all in all, I'd say this was money well spent.

9-25-10, started the day off with a 9.15, anther best at that track for me. It looks like the exhaust was good for about 2 tenths in my otherwise stock car! Thanks Corvette Central.

Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
Got the new Corvette Central straight exhaust/Magnaflows on today and took her to the track.

It is actually a little louder inside the car than I expected, especially at cruising RPM, but not so bad that I can't live with it.

The up side, the car normally runs 9.35-9.45 on our local 1/8 mile track, today (9-24-10) it ran a 9.18 (my best at that track) and a 9.20. MPH went from about 76 to 77.8. In fact, it actually spun the tires on launch from idle, which it didn't before. So all in all, I'd say this was money well spent.

9-25-10, started the day off with a 9.15, anther best at that track for me. It looks like the exhaust was good for about 2 tenths in my otherwise stock car! Thanks Corvette Central.

Jim
Not too shabby, Jim! Glad to hear that you like the exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts