Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
69,122 Posts
Dude, you need a CAGS eliminator. In fact, I'll buy you one out of my own pocket if you can't afford it!

If the 1-4 light comes on, you have no choice but to do 1-4. It will grind if you try to go in any other gear.

Yes, you can do damage if you grind the gears.

And, your description of your ZF-6 problem sounds exactly like a normal ZF-6 trans .... whining in 1st and 2nd, and other delightful behaviors. I have/had 2 ZF-6 cars, they both sound like this.

Since you JUST got this car... maybe you are just now hearing how the trans sounds?

If I ever grind the gears (rarely).... I always think I hurt the trans... so I listen real intentivly and I'll hear some "sound" that I never heard before.... and that I screwed up the trans. Then, I realize that the sound was probably there forever, it's just now I focus'd on it.

Ya know?

· Premium Member
69,122 Posts
You could just unplug it, like I did. But, some cars throw codes (Service Engine Soon) lights when you do that.

The CAGS eliminator has a resistor in it to fool the computer.

Also, the CAGS eliminator keeps the connectors from just dangling there, or keeps the connections from getting corroded.

You'll be glad when you are no longer fighting CAGS!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.