Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my trucks A/C works just fine and the fan blows strong, however when trying to run the heat it never gets hot? what could this be

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
More than likely it is circulation to and through the heater core. An easy test is locate the heater core under the passenger side dash to the left of the blower fan. Turn the heater on and check if it heats up. If it doesn't that is your problem.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would guess the the valve that controls the water circulation to the heater is stuck or unhooked.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i checked the coolant and its so low I cant even see it in the radiator could this cause it? the truck dosnt overheat but it looks as if its been low on coolant for a long time, quit a bit of rust in the radiator. I bought it as a little beater so I could stop driving the vette so much. but now its winter and i need the heat LOL

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
well i checked the coolant and its so low I cant even see it in the radiator could this cause it? the truck dosnt overheat but it looks as if its been low on coolant for a long time, quit a bit of rust in the radiator. I bought it as a little beater so I could stop driving the vette so much. but now its winter and i need the heat LOL
Yep, when I had my Dodge it had a small leak and when the water level would get to low the heater wouldn't work. Then it quit all together...during the coldest winter in Florida's history.:thud: I bought a new truck.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, well guess I will learn to check things a little better when I buy something. Since I got this truck the heat never worked and I didnt consider it a big dea, and according to the temp gauge it was running normal tempuratures.

Well I ended up buying a bottle of anti freeze and poured in it, needless to say it didnt even fill up the radiator.

I decided to drive it to the store to buy more and what would you know the tempurature shot up to 270 in about 10 minutes. So I guess this thing had no water in it the whole time I have had it so the temp guage was not reading the tempurature.

I wound up using two more whole bottles of water to fill it up.

Also the Heat works fine now Too LOL.

I got to give it to this old truck considering I probably drove it on my 3 hour trip a couple weeks ago with no water in it it never showed any signs.

I cannot find any leaks in the system since I filled it up so I dont know where all the water went the first time but it had to be without it for quit some time.

i am not to concerned with this truck since it is just a beater to get me around here and there and haul stuff.

I doubt my ls1 engine could of took this kind of abuse.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yep, when I had my Dodge it had a small leak and when the water level would get to low the heater wouldn't work. Then it quit all together...during the coldest winter in Florida's history.:thud: I bought a new truck.:laughing:
Coldest winter in Florda.
That's like saying fastest Yugo, its an oxymoron no matter how you say it:smack

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i finally did find a leak, one of the freeze plugs is leaking guess thats where it all went

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
well i finally did find a leak, one of the freeze plugs is leaking guess thats where it all went
Bummer, that area of the block was always a bitch to reach on my 94 GMC(but it went 164,000 miles before I sold it and was still going strong:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im probably not going to even mess with it, i will probably just have a shop do it that way if they knock the plug into the block then its there problem not mine.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I've hit 250 3 different times with my LS1...oops:lookinup:

My dad had a S-10 that he could run out of water all the time and the damn thing never got hot or quit running.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts