Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start my 1st thread here on "Digitalcorvettes.com" with my 1st "EVER", Corvette project: "Acquiring a suitable donor engine & trans." I'm in the process of paying off my "first" ever Corvette.. @ 46 years of age!, [mid-life crisis you say???.. who cares.. I'm getting a VETTE!!]. I'll have it at home in July! *[it takes time to pay off 6k..]. It's a "MINT",.. bright red 1988 Z52 Corvette coupe with 124,200-miles,..& it's being sold without the motor & tranny. Now,.. I have a few questions I'd like to put to anyone here who can help me with some technical input. I have the opportunity to pick up a 1996 Chevrolet Caprice,.. with the 9C1 police package LT-1 350 c.i.d. engine, 4L60e transmission,.. and a 3.07:1 rear end. So,.. I'd need to change the intake,..*[Later.. when I have the cash,.. I'll swap intakes.. by getting the "Edelbrock/FelPro 7109K.. LT-1 to LT-4 conversion kit]. BUT.. for now,.. I need to figure out what I should get for the top end, [intake,..throttlebody,.. etc...]. The exhaust system,.. from the headers to the Magnaflow mufflers comes with the car. The 4L60e tranny should be a clean swap??,.. BUT.. after all my "Corvette" research I am still unsure about the rear end. Would the rear gears from the Caprice fit into the Vette's carrier?.. or are Corvette rearend inards one-offs? Thanks for any input in advance,.. and I'll post pics of the build when I get my new "project" home. ***[p.s; check out the ride on the link below in my sig.]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It would be easier and proably cheaper to do a LS swap using a iron block from a truck. Lots of threads out there now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be easier and proably cheaper to do a LS swap using a iron block from a truck. Lots of threads out there now.
Thanks,.. any & all input is greatly appreciated. *P.S; I just read your suspension build thread last night.. "Engineering grade workmanship" there Copo.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
I have the opportunity to pick up a 1996 Chevrolet Caprice,.. with the 9C1 police package LT-1 350 c.i.d. engine, 4L60e transmission,.. and a 3.07:1 rear end. So,.. I'd need to change the intake,..*[Later.. when I have the cash,.. I'll swap intakes.. by getting the "Edelbrock/FelPro 7109K.. LT-1 to LT-4 conversion kit]. BUT.. for now,.. I need to figure out what I should get for the top end, [intake,..throttlebody,.. etc...].
Why would you need to swap the intakes? Are you planning additional mod builds to require more top end? What are your long term goals other than swapping in the LT1. If you're getting a used police package motor, make sure to get it thoroughly checked out before going through the effort of swapping it in. There are plenty of used motors available, no need to rush for anything. If you're considering other manifolds already, why not keep the swap simpler and stick to GEN1 sbc with a miniram type manifold? Unless you're dead set on that exact LT1, I think you could plan a build to better suit your goals and save yourself a lot of hassle whatever the route.

The 4L60e tranny should be a clean swap??,.. BUT.. after all my "Corvette" research I am still unsure about the rear end.
Newer C4s had them, so you should be able to get what you need to swap it in without much effort. Here are two threads discussing other considerations. Few more using the Search feature above.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149695

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143767

As for rear gears, again that depends on what your goals are. Sounds like you're wanting more top end, so more gear (3.54/3.73) may be what you'll need but that can wait until your motor plans are ironed out.

Hope this helps. Start laying out what you want out of an engine swap, LOTS of gurus here to chime in with help.

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I wouldn't do an LTX swap. For the cost you can do a low buck LS swap or more easily a big cube L-98 set up. Nice 383 with an aftermarket FI set up...would be sweet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you need to swap the intakes? Are you planning additional mod builds to require more top end? What are your long term goals other than swapping in the LT1. If you're getting a used police package motor, make sure to get it thoroughly checked out before going through the effort of swapping it in.
Hi Dan,.. thanks for the info. Actually.. about the intake,..this being my 1st Vette & all..*[I'm a backyard mechanic..and this may actually sound stupid & unfounded for my knowledge base..], BUT.. I just assumed, because of the "high rise" look/effect of the Corvettes stock L98 type intake and the air tunnel etc., for example,.. I thought it was one of those things you needed to have "close" to stock for everything to hook up to and to work properly, without much/any modifications to start with. I'm getting the '96 Caprice for $400 Can.$$,.. I know the guy: [that's why he's not charging me $1500+for it...], he was going to scrap the body itself and use the chassis "as is" for a rod build. The drivetrain is a low mile, solid unit. Back to the intake.. I assumed the Vette intake would breath/operate better than the Caprice's?? ..plus I love the look. *(I just started researching the "Vette" a couple weeks ago,.. indepth.. knowing I was going to acquire one... so forgive my C4 knowledge short comings,.. I am learning). My initial build "wants".. are simple,.. A C4 that has good take-off,..moderate+ pulling power,.. fair-good gas mileage,.. basically a summer time daily driver that drives nice on the highway,...[75% city driving + 25% hwy.]. My plan is to start by Installing the stock 9C1 350cid LT-1, with an L98 intake? ..install the rebuilt 4L60e trans,.. and 3.07:1 rear gears [since they come with the Caprice]. **DO THE CAPRICE RING & PINION FIT THE CORVETTE CARRIER??? that I DON'T know. After I get it on the road ,.. I'll do moderate upgrades, [as I learn about my ride], and save up for the Edelbrock LT-1 to LT-4 intake for a couple years down the road.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
My plan is to start by Installing the stock 9C1 350cid LT-1, with an L98 intake? ..install the rebuilt 4L60e trans,.. and 3.07:1 rear gears [since they come with the Caprice]. **DO THE CAPRICE RING & PINION FIT THE CORVETTE CARRIER??? that I DON'T know. After I get it on the road ,.. I'll do moderate upgrades, [as I learn about my ride], and save up for the Edelbrock LT-1 to LT-4 intake for a couple years down the road.
Putting an L98 intake on a Gen2 engine? Why? You would effectively toss out 50hp doing that. Plus the LT1 intake won't just bolt up without significant modifications. There are guys who have converted the LT1 intake for use on Gen1 engines with success. That's a consideration, much like with the miniram or stealthram aftermarket manifolds. There is forum information on LT1 manifold conversions.

The LT1 has good top end in stock form, so if you must do the engine swap then continue to use that manifold, that's it's benefit. Unless you've just "got to have an LT1" or are getting it for free... it just doesn't seem to make sense from a results/effort standpoint. I think you'll continue to see that consensus from folks too.

A C4 that has good take-off,..moderate+ pulling power,.. fair-good gas mileage,.. basically a summer time daily driver that drives nice on the highway,...[75% city driving + 25% hwy.].
Cool, that's very obtainable. You could easily have that with a 5.3/5.7 used LS swap (following the path of several guys on here). You'd have the same amount (if not less) effort than to swap in the LT1 with modifications and you'd have present day driveability and parts availability. If you stay with a Gen1 engine (like your '88 has now) you could do a built long block and maintain lots of stock components (which can always be upgraded over time). Power levels on either of these routes is up to your preference and wallet really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Putting an L98 intake on a Gen2 engine? Why? You would effectively toss out 50hp doing that.
I REALLY wasn't thinking there...was I...

... Unless you are getting it for free...
Only reason I was even considering this route was that it WAS basically "FREE"... price=$400 ... & that price includes a rebuilt 4L60e tranny, .. and the 3.07:1 rear gears. I figured that since the Vette I'm buying is a "ROLLING CHASSIS",.. no motor or trans.,. I might as well get the car driveable for a measley $400.00. Plan "B".. for that same 4-hundred dollars,.. I could keep the tranny,.. sell the 9C1 350 LT-1 & 3.07:1 rear end.. and use the cash to buy me a "scrapyard LS1"...hmmmm..

...Cool, that's very obtainable. You could easily have that with a 5.3/5.7 used LS swap (following the path of several guys on here). You'd have the same amount (if not less) effort than to swap in the LT1 with modifications and you'd have present day driveability and parts availability. :thumbsup:
..Like I just said,.. hmmmm..time to do some further research,.. thanks for the helping hand Dan. :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't do an LTX swap. For the cost you can do a low buck LS swap or more easily a big cube L-98 set up. Nice 383 with an aftermarket FI set up...would be sweet.
...I'm starting to lean your and Dan's way,.. with an LS1 donor instead of the LT,.. thanks for the ideas.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
For $400 buy it and keep the trans, you can sell that motor for $500-$1000 if you have the computer and all. That way you get a free trans and get some spending money for the motor you decide to buy. You will have to bring the trans down and get a Vette Tailshaft put on it so you can bolt it to the C-beam but that's not a big deal. Do you have a C-beam and driveshaft with the car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For $400 buy it and keep the trans, you can sell that motor for $500-$1000 if you have the computer and all. That way you get a free trans and get some spending money for the motor you decide to buy. You will have to bring the trans down and get a Vette Tailshaft put on it so you can bolt it to the C-beam but that's not a big deal. Do you have a C-beam and driveshaft with the car?
Yeah,.. the C-beam and driveshaft stay with the car, [thank God]. He's keeping the brand new L98 crate motor and 700R4 tranny he aquired 2-years ago. He wanted $12,000 for the Vette WITH the crate engine & tranny... I think I can do better than $6000!!...to get myself a good running motor & tranny to start with. [I'm already paying $5500 for the, "rolling chassis"]. *On a seperate note.. the coated headers and the exhaust system down to the Magnaflows, stay with the car as well. *[He also keeps the chrome rims & new rubber,.. I get the stock rubber on stock corvette aluminum rims.. they have 2300-miles on them..].

1 - 12 of 12 Posts