Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unit has only 17k miles on it(Like new)tested the harness where headlights an motors plug in. I dont have a ground on motor harness. Has power but no ground. Their limp.
CAN SOMEONE, HELP PLEASE?
I CANT FIND INFO. Have no reference material. No electric diagrams or electronic module locator. Or resolution.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
This unit has only 17k miles on it(Like new)tested the harness where headlights an motors plug in. I dont have a ground on motor harness. Has power but no ground. Their limp.
CAN SOMEONE, HELP PLEASE?
I CANT FIND INFO. Have no reference material. No electric diagrams or electronic module locator. Or resolution.....
Hello Dale 3388, I have a 97" C5, but it has 163000 miles on it. I had the same problem at one point. The headlights would light up (inside the housing, closed, pointed backwards), but would not rotate to the up position. I could tell by pulling the high beam actuator that the lights would come on. I found on the forums, in my case, it was the stalk. I mean I had to replace the entire turn signal, headlight / high low beam, cruise control stalk. I even found a youtube vid on how to replace it. It cost me about - $130 (something like that, I see them for less today). Another forum member took the whole stalk apart, cleaned and re-bent the contact fingers, and made it work that way. I didn't want to mess with that, just wanted a whole new replacement stalk / turn signal mechanism. After I put it in, the headlights came up, everything worked like it is supposed to. Have you done any reading about the stalk ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Dale 3388, I have a 97" C5, but it has 163000 miles on it. I had the same problem at one point. The headlights would light up (inside the housing, closed, pointed backwards), but would not rotate to the up position. I could tell by pulling the high beam actuator that the lights would come on. I found on the forums, in my case, it was the stalk. I mean I had to replace the entire turn signal, headlight / high low beam, cruise control stalk. I even found a youtube vid on how to replace it. It cost me about - $130 (something like that, I see them for less today). Another forum member took the whole stalk apart, cleaned and re-bent the contact fingers, and made it work that way. I didn't want to mess with that, just wanted a whole new replacement stalk / turn signal mechanism. After I put it in, the headlights came up, everything worked like it is supposed to. Have you done any reading about the stalk ?
Thanks for the assistance. Was wondering if anyone would help me out cause Im unable to locate any mechanical/electrical I info.. I know the motors, gears, stops, control module are all good. (Car is like new, has 17k miles.) When I reconnected battery the headlights popped up. Then manually I put them both down, then switched them on, lights came on but both wouldn't come up. So what you're saying, is that it's the multifunction switch on steering column. Is there any specific/correct way to adjust the manual knob, that raises an lowers the headlights? Im trying to process how an why this could of happened, cause like I said it's like new. Question is; when lights/motor harness is disconnected at the headlight. When I turned on lights an tested the motor cable it had power, but when I tested the ground wire to motor, there was no ground. Do these motors operate on a ground signal ? Or am I all messed up in the head? The light cable has ground. I read somewhere that the motors get power for a short time an turn off after up or down. Do you think that the "Stalk" or multifunction switch could go out/bad after 17k miles? What causes that? I wanted to look for the ground point that these connect to but as I stated reference material is a challenge to obtain, thats why I joined this forum. As I wait for a solution the car sits, manually raising an lowering is a hassle. So it's parked. I dont have disposable income to just replace parts at will. Wanted to diagnose this unit. It doesn't make sense why this came about, would like to prevent this from happening again. Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the assistance. Was wondering if anyone would help me out cause Im unable to locate any mechanical/electrical I info.. I know the motors, gears, stops, control module are all good. (Car is like new, has 17k miles.) When I reconnected battery the headlights popped up. Then manually I put them both down, then switched them on, lights came on but both wouldn't come up. So what you're saying, is that it's the multifunction switch on steering column. Is there any specific/correct way to adjust the manual knob, that raises an lowers the headlights? Im trying to process how an why this could of happened, cause like I said it's like new. Question is; when lights/motor harness is disconnected at the headlight. When I turned on lights an tested the motor cable it had power, but when I tested the ground wire to motor, there was no ground. Do these motors operate on a ground signal ? Or am I all messed up in the head? The light cable has ground. I read somewhere that the motors get power for a short time an turn off after up or down. Do you think that the "Stalk" or multifunction switch could go out/bad after 17k miles? What causes that? I wanted to look for the ground point that these connect to but as I stated reference material is a challenge to obtain, thats why I joined this forum. As I wait for a solution the car sits, manually raising an lowering is a hassle. So it's parked. I dont have disposable income to just replace parts at will. Wanted to diagnose this unit. It doesn't make sense why this came about, would like to prevent this from happening again. Thank you.
Electrical connections get oxidized, and don't conduct electricity like they did when new. It's not the 17K miles, it's a 24 year old car. All I know is that is what happened to mine. The new stalk fixed it. If you say you know the motors are good, then it sounds to me like an issue of voltage not getting to he motors. Time takes a toll on these old Corvettes. I've had to replace all kinds of components on mine. The gears that actuate the headlights to come up were originally plastic. I replaced them with bronze --- years of use, and time sitting all the years takes it's toll.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Electrical connections get oxidized, and don't conduct electricity like they did when new. It's not the 17K miles, it's a 24 year old car. All I know is that is what happened to mine. The new stalk fixed it. If you say you know the motors are good, then it sounds to me like an issue of voltage not getting to he motors. Time takes a toll on these old Corvettes. I've had to replace all kinds of components on mine. The gears that actuate the headlights to come up were originally plastic. I replaced them with bronze --- years of use, and time sitting all the years takes it's toll.
The reason is what I'm lookin for. I have power to motors (checked motor cable at connection when lights were switched on, when I checked the ground continuity on motor cable there is none.) Do these door motors operate on a momentary ground signal? I'll stop inquiring. I'll just get a stalk. Noted: I have no; p/n, install inst., or location of multifunction switch. Service manual or references would be special. (?)wonder how many things I'll break?
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not that hard to replace. Be careful and you won't break anything. Take the old one out, put the new one back in. For $75 or so, it may solve your problem like it did mine . Look for a Youtube video on how to remove the turn signal stalk. Good luck. I just looked on Youtube and found.... this
Corvette Multi-Function Switch Replacement
video by Lehew. Be patient, take your time, there are other videos on how to replace a C5 Corvette Multi Function switch. You can do this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The video by Lehew is the one that I used to change mine. Working on the C5 is cramped, and there is a maze of wiring and harness connectors, so you have to follow the harness from the Multi Function Switch (Turn Signal Stalk). Don't force or pry too much on anything, be gentle. I even used a mirror, had to fashion a torx bit with a 1/4 inch box end wrench to get to some of the screws. If you take it to a shop, it will cost you $600 or so. You have to learn to work on that car yourself. Read, learn, research, and try some of these repairs yourself. It is sometimes frustrating, but do your due diligence and your C5 will repay you with a long service. Heck, yours only has 17000 miles on it, well worth the effort. Mine has 163000+ miles on it, and I love driving it. I had to have the 4L60E transmission replaced, that is something I could not do myself. Expensive, but I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
... watch this video, this guy even says he changed it because his headlights wouldn't pop up ! This is exactly your problem.
C5 multifunction switch headlight switch replacement
by Ed Maybury. There are more !

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, this guy does an in depth job of explaining, although there are 5 minuets or so of black video. Hang in there, two of the screws are like "Reverse Torx Head" screw, so you have to use a 4mm socket, instead of a Torx bit. Who knows why GM put those in there ?? Just follow the steps, pay attention, even take notes to help yourself along the procedure. That's where I used a mirror to look up under there, as I've never seen that king of screw before. If you do this, you will be very happy to did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... watch this video, this guy even says he changed it because his headlights wouldn't pop up ! This is exactly your problem.
C5 multifunction switch headlight switch replacement
by Ed Maybury. There are more !
Thanks I located that video. Yo Lancer, since your the only one helping me out. Question, Where do I buy a NOS/OEM. switch at, does AC Delco make/sell these units? Called Dealer they don't have any. ( P/N. 26075870 )

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
97-04 C5 Corvette Headlight Multi Function Switch It will take some deep digging on the internet to find a new one. This one is on vettenuts, used, but they say it works 100%. Not always easy to find parts for these old Corvettes, but usually you can if you keep digging. Call Summit Racing, see if they have it. They have them for the C6 Vettes, you will have to ask them. Call other parts houses too, or look for a good used one. Some guys even fix them.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go to Ebay, there are several options. Don't buy a used one, you don't know what you're getting. Locate a new one, search the internet for C5 Corvette Multifunction Switch / Turn Signal Switch. I just looked and found several.
Google it. Top Flight Auto has them ... $80 Corvette America 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette Headlamp /Turn Signal /Cruise Control Switch - W/Fog Lights Make sure you get one for 97 - 04 C5 Corvette. Keep looking, you will find it.
I know you know this link is for a 05+ C6 Corvette.. I will ck. them out. All I found was two places cost was up, $220. to $295.+. Lancer, where are the wiring diagrams/service manual info.at? I've asked numerous times on this forum. Is there a conspiracy, or do I have to go to the local library.
You know my experience w/ high dollar cars overwhelms me. Having to social converse about situations w/o getting reference material needed to resolve any situations. All the years in school learning automotive. Whats the use if one cant get "Normal Info." IE; wiring diagrams etc.
I was sure all domestic American cars revealed this info. needed. It must be; you pay the big bucks, but you cant work on it, we want you to go to dumb-a_s dealer. Is this all true? Because I found out the hard way. I bought a POS., Jaguar an they are the kings at screwing you. Can't suck up enough online to get anyones attention. UK engineers haven't got a clue. *Can't believe, "I STEPPED ON IT SO BAD", knowing all these years I knew GM. is the best. What was I thinking? I park it, an overnight it breaks in the driveway, by itself. Those junk cars are not cheap $'s, quality blows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts