Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm a C3 guy, but I'm thinking of buying a C5. I found a few I like and one is a 97. Since 97 was the first year for the C5, are there any problems with those that I should know about? Any specific things I should check on the car?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hmm

I bought a 97 then took it to a chevy dealer for the full inspection. But here are some things you can look at.

Maybe check the belts / water pump / definitely the tires (Front especially) the inners will probably be worn by now. The fuel pump sound you may or may not hear is normal :crazy:

That was about all I can come up with mechanically. Oh flush fluids for a brand new start once you purchase.

One benefit is under 10,000 C5s were made in 97. :surprised :surprised
Not sure if that will ever mean anything but it is a fact.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No major problems with my 97 I have replaced the passenger window motor and the CC control module and my AC compressor was leaking. I have the part $225 Ebay and I just need to swap it out but I need to remove the water pump to do it!

Apart from that it drives like a new car it has 54K miles on it. One thing I did do is a HUD retrofit for $400 well worth doing. Oh yeh I had the driverside seat bolster replaced on the entry point as it was torn I had it done by a local leather shop.

·
Read Only
575 Posts
I have had my 97 for almost 1.5 years now. The only problems I have encountered was the passenger window module and the A/C display was fading out. Both problems were fixed for free because I belong to the greatest Corvette Forum of all time!!!!!!!! lol I got instructions on how to fix both problems right here and guess what...... it cost me ZERO dollars! I have put 37000 miles on my 97 in the last 1.5 years and I cannot say one single bad thing about the car!!! It is absolutely great!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts