Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the harmonic balancer on my 99 corvette. All of the info I have read say to scribe the old balancer to the crankshaft and align the new balancer in the same orientation. Can't seem to find any specific instructions on how to line up on the new and old balancers to get the same orientation - there is no timing mark for top dead center that I can see like an older engine - I assume you have to line up the holes drilled in the rim of the balancer but want to be sure. There are holes drilled around the rim of the balancer at an even spacing and 6 holes that are all fairly close together in one spot on both the old and new balancer however the 6 holes on the new balancer I got are slightly closer together than they are on the original. I assume that I should line up the center line of the 6 close holes on both balancers to get the same orientation. Can anyone confirm if that is correct or let me know the correct way if not. By the way, if I do line up the 2 balancers using the 6 holes the 3 spokes in the center do not line up but not sure if that matters.

thanks
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Good morning Gary,

Edit: See next post as well.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Additional info from the FSM. The three spokes don't actually need to line up, just the positions of any weights:

1. Check the crankshaft balancer weight holes for any existing balance weights.
2. Use a punch and position the balance weights to the bottom of the weight holes.
3. With a marking crayon, note the weight holes containing any balance weights.
4. Lay the old crankshaft balancer on a bench or flat table. Rotate the old balancer until one of the the marked balance weight holes is in the 12 o'clock position.
5. Lay the new crankshaft balancer on the bench next to the old balancer. Rotate the new balancer until one of the balance weight holes is in the 12 o'clock position.
6. With a marking crayon, mark the new balancer weight hole located in the 12 o-clock position.
7. Viewing the old balancer, note the position of the crankshaft-to-balancer alignment mark. Mark the new balancer in the same location.
8. Measure the distance from the top of the balance weights to the face of the old crankshaft balancer.
9. Record the readings.
10. Detewrmine the proper balance weight size for the new balancer.
-A balance weight hole depth that measures 13 mm has a short balance weight.
-A balance weight hole depth that measures 6.69 mm has a medium balance weight.
-A balance weight hold that measures 0.29 mm has a long balance weight.

-A short balance weight will measure 12.7 mm in length
-A medium balance weight will measure 19 mm in length
-A long balance weight will measure 25.4 mm in length
11. Insert new crankshaft balance weights of the proper size into the new balancer in the same location as with the old balancer. A properly installed balance weight will be either flush or below flush with the face of the balancer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts