Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my car was in the bodyshop for some L5 Flared Rear Quarters I decided to make some "common sense" modifications to help cooling. First I called Andy and asked him what he did for Tigershark applications. Being the "King of Customer Service" he sent me his aluminum shroud kit with a large rectangular hole cut in the front piece to let air through to the FMIC (Free of Charge, since another installer said it would be better without the shrouding and lost the three aluminum pieces at the time of install :nonod: ). I fitted the pieces onto my car, and since this was retrofitted to Andy's older version Vortech kit, due to the FMIC hanger configuration I was also able to lower the FMIC slightly so that it receives unobstructed air flow. Moving forward I wanted to lower my Dewitts radiator in the cradle to expose it better to unobstructed air flow as well. On the bottom of the radiator on driver side I cut 1/2" of the foot off. On the passenger side I removed the round peg with rubber grommet that fits into the hole on the bottom of the radiator cradle. I then removed 1/2" of material from the middle and rewelded it 3/4'" towards the center of the radiator and then replaced the rubber grommet. This enabled me to lower the radiator 1/2" and move it towards the passenger side so that the upper radiator hose mount tank bulge would not contact the frame. I then removed all four of the hangers for the A/C condensor coil and rewelded them 3/4" lower (I should have went 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" in hindsight) with a 1/4" spacer behind each. Again this was done to bring the condensor coil down further into the path of airflow but mostly to create 1/4" more air gap between the condensor coil and the radiator helping both engine cooling and A/C performance. With everything back in place I sealed up the bottom of my radiator cradle with .187" black ABS sheeting and stainless screws to secure it onto the bottom of the cradle and my TigerShark "chin spoiler". Everything fit great, and now in 99* heat my car stays at a moderate 190* in "city driving" while dropping 5-12* on "highway driving". In addition my IAT's now run 5* over ambient while moving 35mph or more. With my IAT gauge I can now see how compressing the air just 7-8psi raises IAT's quickly about 15-20*, but that is remedied with my ECS meth kit cooling IAT's below ambient. This project will receive more refinements as time permits, I have a couple more common sense changes to make. This work made no "Earth Shattering" results to report, but merely some subtle refinements to help us FI guys keep a little cooler in the heat of summer. The following pictures were not taken with intention of writing this post, but they will show you some idea of what was done and how it looks. Hope This Helps Somebody, Happy Hot Rodding :cheers:

View into the mouth of the shark at the "unobstructed" FMIC

Closeup of FMIC

View through "chin spoiler" at bottom tank of FMIC and lower part of A/C condensor coil.
Also visible is horizontal crossbar of radiator cradle and ABS bottom cover.

Looking up at ABS bottom cover and stainless screws

Another view of the TigerShark front with stainless "Corvette" letters from Willfulone "Chip"

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Very clean, I love it without the emblems and the simple stainless steel Corvette letters. And a black C5, always sexy. :cheers:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the compliments :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts