Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 1972 home from a car show last night, when I heard a horrible sound coming form under the hood. By the time I could find a safe place to pull over, there was smoke coming out from under the hood. I popped the hood and saw that the pulley from my A/C condenser was smoking like H#LL! So I unplugged the wires leading to the A/C condenser and drove the final 5 miles home. I don't want to do more damage to the A/C unit then I already have, but I do want to be able to drive the car (but can't afford to fix the A/C right now). What can I do so that I can drive? I have already unplugged the a/c condenser, should I pull the belt right off of the a/c unit so it doesn't spin? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rod

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I was driving my 1972 home from a car show last night, when I heard a horrible sound coming form under the hood. By the time I could find a safe place to pull over, there was smoke coming out from under the hood. I popped the hood and saw that the pulley from my A/C condenser was smoking like H#LL! So I unplugged the wires leading to the A/C condenser and drove the final 5 miles home. I don't want to do more damage to the A/C unit then I already have, but I do want to be able to drive the car (but can't afford to fix the A/C right now). What can I do so that I can drive? I have already unplugged the a/c condenser, should I pull the belt right off of the a/c unit so it doesn't spin? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rod
If the AC unit is shot, take the belt off until you can get it fixed.
BTW, you'll find an extra few HP that way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have already unplugged the a/c condenser, should I pull the belt right off of the a/c unit so it doesn't spin? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rod[/QUOTE]
Rod, I'd pull the belt. I'd Leave the compressor inplace until you are ready to have it repaired/replaced. You would dump the freon charge if you remove the compressor and expose the inside of whats left to the atmosphere. The good news is that if the clutch can be replaced on the car you're golden. If you must remove the compressor, which is likely, you may be able to upgrade to the freon 134, new seals and oil in the original compressor. Some of the other guys may have an alternate/better way to go.
Good luck,
Rich:cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts