Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car had been converted to R-134 when I bought it. I can't get the temp under 60 degrees. I have evacuated it, vacuumed it and re-filled it with 10% under recommended amount. Same thing. Do any of you get good cold air out of your converted systems? I'm thinking of doing some insulating on the receiver and the low side lines (seems they pick up a horrible amount of engine heat the way they're laid out.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just replaced the Compressor and Accumulator 3 weeks ago on my 88 for the second time in 10 yrs and it will blow out of the vents 38 degrees at night and generally somewhere in the mid 40's and low 50's during a Hot ASS Oklahoma Summer day. I have seen a few places replace the compressor and accumulator and not take the time to replace the oriface tube and wonder why they can get the car to cool because the dam thing is clogged up with debris. I have no complaints on my converted system it works GREAT........

Cliff

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your 88 have the R-4 compressor? I'm thinking I should get colder air than 60. My pressures look good too- 35 and 275 +/-, so I don't think the orifice is the problem. I'm going to play with it more and see what happens. BTW, 110 here in AZ, I'm not really expecting it to frost my whiskers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wasn't trying to say your orifice was the problem but just that most places do a half ass job when doing the A/C conversions and then the next owner is trying to figure out what was done or wasnt done correctly :thud: . What is your temp running at night when the outside ambient temp is lower? A 110 degrees is pretty damn hot thats for sure!!!!!!!!

Cliff

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh boy do I know about the butchers and A/C work! A/C is the one thing that can't be short cutted. To do so is asking for immediate problems, or problems down the road.

Oh, and I'm seeing temps in the lower 50s when it's cooler out. I'm going to shoot my low side lines with an infrared thermo or pinch off the heater hose and see if it could be a blend door problem or something. (Then there's the auto air that I have never been wild about. That could be a problem too. I believe in KISS with cars.) I'm still thinking insulation will help some. (I know they make covers for the receiver dryers, and this one does set out in front of the radiator.):crazy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before wasting a lot of time insulating, I'd check and see if your pulling outside air. Putting 110 degree air on that evaporator, you would be real
lucky to see 60 degree supply air.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just did my 1988 vette a few weeks ago. It blows nice and cool I have to keep turning the fan down even on hot days. Witch one of your vettes are you referring to the 1979 or the 1992?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just did my 1988 vette a few weeks ago. It blows nice and cool I have to keep turning the fan down even on hot days. Witch one of your vettes are you referring to the 1979 or the 1992?
It's the '92 I am talking about. I didn't consider that maybe it hasn't been recirculating the air. Inducing ambient temp would cause the problem all right. I just assumed (I know what they say about assume too) that it was working as should be. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check on that first! (I've only had the car for a few months and I'm still trying to get the bugs out.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't remember if it was on this forum or the corvette.com forum but there was a post about removing your blower motor and cleaning your evaporator core. I'll see if I can find it for you.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I had an A/C problem drive me crazy on a Toyota P.U. once. Come to find out that the evaporator was completely clogged with dog hair. Seems the previous owner had a badly shedding dog. The hair all ended up stuck in the evap. That was a tuffy to find.....:thud:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I got my system converted this summer and it blows ice cold.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. After reading of other conversions, I do now believe that there is something wrong. I know some systems don't convert well as the condensers seem to be inadequate for heat dispersion (although this usually tends to send the high pressure through the roof) I know most of the older C-4s have the old R-12 compressors which were a pretty good workhorse. Mine has a Denso compressor (although I don't think that should really make a difference.) I'll tinker with it again this weekend and see if I can get it a little cooler. Somewhere in the 40s would be nice..:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts