Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is typically a lot of focus on which A/C kit system is "best". But what about the use and flow of each? The thing that concerns me about the kits is that they output to two small vents below the dash on either side. These seem somewhat inadequte. I guess CA has added to extra vettes on each side of the radio. Do these put out good air?

Do any of these kits, Old Air, CA, VA, allow Cold air to pour out the defroster vent selectively with or without the other vents?

Anyone have the Old Air System?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I hope you get some replies on this... adding Air is on my "to do" list also. I'd love to see some input here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed Classic Auto Air and couldn't be happier. With 4 vents it cool the cabin BUT you need more then just a A/C unit, you also need insulation, tinted windows and a good cooling system.

Here is a write up I did on my install ===>> CAA install click here

George

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed Classic Auto Air and couldn't be happier. With 4 vents it cool the cabin BUT you need more then just a A/C unit, you also need insulation, tinted windows and a good cooling system.

George
George,

I remember your post from the other evil forum. The thing that turned me off on the CC A/C was that the glove box was made more shallow, the stock controls had to be modified, and the block off plate under the hood does not look very finished. I would have preferred a nice fiberglass piece that had the look of stock. Also, I heard some complaints about the battery being difficult to deal with, although it was better than the Vintage air in that regard.

I will be completely covering the inside of the cabin with sound deadening and absorbing material which will also provide insulation.
Can you describe how the vent flow works? I mean, can you direct the cool air out of the defroster vent as well as the side and center vents?
Do you get good air flow from all four vents?
Given that the fan motor is in the cabin, how is the noise?

Are the heater coil and A/C evaporator coil in the same cavity such that the heater coil radiates heat on to the evaporator?

Thanks, :cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 67 A/C Coupe. I Recently installed new Rugs. I removed all the Jute padding and Sound Deadener and replaced it with nothing but the Foil lined Foam which is faced on both sides. Made a very big difference! I even put it above the Headliner. Car is cooler and quieter even with side pipes. I also run without Splash Shields. Al W.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

George
George, Did you happen to look at the Old Air Products A/C system?
Old Air does not limit the glove box space. Its the one that Zip and Corvette Central offer.
I'm wondering how it performs compared to the Classic System. Specifically does it push the same amount of air? The Old Air appears to run the air through the Evap and heater coils all the time. This requires a Coolant cutoff valve on the Old Air System. Is it the same for the Classic?
How is the noise level?
Any issues with the Classic's operation?
:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts