Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 71 coupe that the previous owner put a few (and I do mean a few) new parts in.Needless to say Im in the middle of rebuilding it from the ground up.I have a new evaporator, the correct one for the car, in the box with all new seals.I would like to change the car over to a R-134 with radial compressor. Anyone got a list of what I need at this point? IE. hoses,connectors, can I just get parts from a later model, do they make adapters for the evaporator tubes? I know its a lot of questions and I really do appreciate any help!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Ive got a 71 coupe that the previous owner put a few (and I do mean a few) new parts in.Needless to say Im in the middle of rebuilding it from the ground up.I have a new evaporator, the correct one for the car, in the box with all new seals.I would like to change the car over to a R-134 with radial compressor. Anyone got a list of what I need at this point? IE. hoses,connectors, can I just get parts from a later model, do they make adapters for the evaporator tubes? I know its a lot of questions and I really do appreciate any help!
Patience. Our reident A/C expert spends alot of time in the Babes section. He will show up eventually.:laughing:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hi

Best is to sell that new evap to someone that wants it.

Get everything for a 78 vette, except the condenser and go to a parallel flow. The original tube and fin condensers that came oem are not nearly as efficient for 134a.
http://www.aapak.com/Qstore/p000116.htm
or similar.
This will change you over to a oriface tube system, which is much better these days for price, performance and reliability.
The radial I assume you mean the R4, not a good bang for the buck.
Go with something like this.
http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sfid=75198&c=673944&i=13977171
The hose set you are probably best to get locally and custom, but shop for prices.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds exactly like the info I was looking for.Just want to clarify, get everything for a 78,including the evaporator (this will fit inside my 71?) except the condensor,I found the link to the compressor you recommended but the link for the condensor sent me to another compressor.I see the parallel flow ones on the same site but was wondering if you had any recommendadions as to which one.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sorry for the wrong link.
I fixed the post above.
Just get the largest that will fit in there and that should be it. Larger=better cooling with less pressure=longer life.
Evaporators will exchange.
Minor wiring mods, when you get ready, let me know.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Mounting bracketry changed for the R4s, so you will need R4 (late 76 and up) brackets. Hoses off the rear of the R4 are different so you will need the assembly.

My advice would be to keep the old A6 and convert to R-134. Cheaper than going to R4.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Give these guys a try, they do work on early model cars (80's) and their prices are fair with good workmenship.

Savannah Auto Air
5778 Ogeechee Rd.
Savannah, GA 31405

Phone: (912) 927-0111

Email: [email protected]

Savannah Auto Air, your source for a complete selection of A/C and Cooling parts at wholesale prices.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
I looked at redoing the original a/c in my 72 and opted for a CAA system instead. Of course I haven't hooked up the a/c yet! but the main system is in place if you want to see it. The car is in Wallingford.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In response to Mike, you may have misunderstood me, the only thing I have of the A/C system is the evaporator (new in box) and the controls in the dash!! Im leaning toward the 78 setup only because I can piece-meal it as I put it together,I just dumped 3K at VB&P for the full 42000 suspension system,rotors,pads,steering cylinder and control unit. Moneys gettin' tight! But I may take you up on the peek at the CAA system Gary, Im assuming its garaged, I used to live on the east side, just past Choate!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts