Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The a/c in my 72 never worked. The hoses are all cracked and brittle, and the one time I turned it on it spewed all sorts of nasty smelly gunk. So about two years ago I took the compressor off, and last year the condensor.

Wifey is always barking about how hot it is in the summer tooling around in the 72. Me? I don't mind it a bit, but there are times when she comes along and then the complaints start.

Sooooooooo.....is it more sensible to rebuild the original or get a new aftermarket like form Vinatge Air? There are actually 3 or 4 places that make aftermarket a/c.
 

·
DC Pit Crew
Joined
·
11,957 Posts
i would go with an aftermarket upgraded AC unit....the unit in my fathers 80 vette doesnt' work either...i wouldn't try to rebuilt it...don't think they ever worked welll
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,209 Posts
I'd ditch the wife, roll down the windows and put the A/C money in the gas tank and go cruisin.

Of course... that's just me.

You might feel differently. :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patrick96LT4 said:
I'd ditch the wife, roll down the windows and put the A/C money in the gas tank and go cruisin.

Of course... that's just me.

You might feel differently. :laughing:
Hmmm...does B-Girl read this section?:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I'd ditch the wife, roll down the windows and put the A/C money in the gas tank and go cruisin.

Of course... that's just me.

You might feel differently. :laughing:

Patricks gonna be in trouble!!!!


Oh B-Girl, did you hear this??

:spanked:


:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Wifey is always barking about how hot it is in the summer tooling around in the 72.
Wait a minute. Doesn't Kathy have air in the Yellow 85. She's got her own Vette. And I also thought I saw a post about you possibly buying a C5 (defineatly have air).


I say, let her tough it out.
(I won't go as far as saying I agree with Partick, though.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rich's75 said:
Wait a minute. Doesn't Kathy have air in the Yellow 85. She's got her own Vette. And I also thought I saw a post about you possibly buying a C5 (defineatly have air).


I say, let her tough it out.
(I won't go as far as saying I agree with Partick, though.)
Right on all counts:cheers:
But I really, really enjoy driving the 72. So when she rides alongside, I don't want to hear about "hot".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
biltogo said:
Right on all counts:cheers:
But I really, really enjoy driving the 72. So when she rides alongside, I don't want to hear about "hot".
I hear ya, Rudy. Why do you think that I bought the '99 FRC. My wife didn't like the heat either.:laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Rich's75 said:
I hear ya, Rudy. Why do you think that I bought the '99 FRC. My wife didn't like the heat either.:laughing:
Buy her a little ice cube and water filled "Spritzer", have her wear a short skirt so she can "Spritz" her legs with cool water, then you try to keep your thoughts on your driving! Hey! We went all the way to NY without air in a C3 too! It wasn't so bad except when we were sitting still so keep moving!:stick:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now that's a thought:partyon: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
It took some work but I fixed my factory air on my 72. The hardest part was replacing the evaporator but it can be done. The A-6 axial cylinder compressor used too be the cheapest replacement cost compressor on the market. I would switch to 134-A freon. I thought mine worked fine even though I kept the R-12 freon. It could have had more airflow at the vents. But this is a common problem on 72's. I haven't checked on the price for new hoses, expansion valve, POA valve, compressor, evaporator, and condenser compared to aftermarket whole goods system.

Chas.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top