Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for oil to leak out of the A/C compressor and NOT leak refrigerant? I am finding a good bit of Ester oil dripping on the floor from the bottom of the compressor, but the volume of 134 is still proper. IT cools properly and has worked great ever day for many many weeks now...

What can you make of this?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Possibly, where is it leaking from? There should be a tiny leak, more of a wetting on the front seal, that is normal.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant really tell, but its really wet all underneath the compressor. Its not coming from the muffler housing though, ive confirmed that. But its not just a wetting, its making a nice puddle on the garage floor, and thats what worries me. And what preplexes me is that the refrigerant is not leaking, or at least not leaking significantly.

Thanks for the thoughts...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the seal will allow it leak oil and not freon? Do you guys reccomend a re-man unit or should I try to rebuild it with a seal kit???

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
227 Posts
sounds like a bad case seal, if it is the front seal it will be slung onto the hood and every were else. the case seal can leak with little freon leaking until the oil level gets low enough to expose the freon to the breach. The oil will ack as a liquid seal.

Neal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the case seal is leaking on the bottom and as long as there is oil in there, the oil will slowly seep out first, and not allow the freon out. Well that makes since. So when all the oil leaks out, the freon will prolly come out much faster and things will all go to hell.

Do you suggest a comp re-build or should I just get a re-man unit?

Thanks for the 411

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it were me I would just pick-up a reman and install. To be positive about were the oil is coming from you need to clean the comp up and watch for the first sign of oil.

Neal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I cant really tell, but its really wet all underneath the compressor. Its not coming from the muffler housing though, ive confirmed that. But its not just a wetting, its making a nice puddle on the garage floor, and thats what worries me. And what preplexes me is that the refrigerant is not leaking, or at least not leaking significantly.

Thanks for the thoughts...
It helps to know what compressor you have:D
I am assuming you have the original r4 for a 79.

I'm not ragging on you, just trying to follow what happened.
Here is a post of yours from about a month ago.

I completely agree with 6880 Mike. I just finished (sunday) my 134a conversion, and its a good deal of work to do it right. If your getting cold air now, dont mess with it. As they say, dont kick a sleeping dog. Once it quits or stops blowing cold, then convert. If you just have to do it now:

You dont need the Ecklers kit!!!!!! Just get a reciever/Dryer for $55 bucks, an orifice tube for $3 bucks, a set of O rings, a can of Ester oil, 4 of the little cans of R134a without oil, an orifice tube removal tool, the correct fittings for the Shrader valves, a can tap, a set of manifold gauges with hoses, and a vacuum pump.

Evacuate the system, replace the Reciever/dryer and the O rings for the fittings(pour 3 oz of ester oil directly in the Dryer before installing), and replace the orifice tube and its fitting O ring. Remove the compressor and drain the mineral oil. Pour 3 oz. of Ester directly in it, then re-instsall it and its O rings. Install the proper connections on the schrader valves, usually from a retro kit at any auto parts store. BUT, you will need a 90 degree for the low side, (ill send a link for it if you do this). Then vacuum the system for 30 minutes, and fill with 51 oz. of R134a. This is 85% of the amount the system calls for R12. 4 of the little cans of R134a is 52 oz., (they are 13 oz. each) so that is what I used. And then your good to go.
I am assuming you followed your own instructions.
Simply evacuating the system will not remove existing oil thruout the system.
I noticed you did not advise the OP to flush and drain the evaporator nor the condenser, a place where an inactive system will accummulate and settle out oil.

In addition, depending on the method you used to drain the compressor, several ounces were probably still in it. So from your instructions, you added 6 oz. plus whatever was left in the system, which results in too much oil. It it not a serious problem with an old a6 with an oil sump but the stock 79 system relies only on the correct amount of oil carried in suspension with the 134a. The r4 has no sump.
It is quite likely that the compressor was "slugged" with oil and thus the leak. A puddle on the floor is a lot.

You can start from scratch again, and flush everything replace the drier and see if it holds a vacuum, but chances are that another compressor will be needed.
On the other hand, you have nothing to loose now, so you can run it and hope for the best.:D

If replacing, you may want to consider a Sanden with the r12 ports that does have an oil sump.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes its an r4. After my mishap with the el cheapo conversion kit I bought, and some sound advice from DC, I had AutoCool evacuate and Flush the entire system to give me a good starting point. They flushed it for a about an hour because they said they found shards from a schrader valve or something in there? (Thank goodness I never got the death kit working!)Then I did the steps I outlined in the previous thread. And it works wonderfully. Then the oil leak.

Neal I think Ill take your advise and just get a re-man unit.

Thanks for all the help folks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for posting this. This has been driving me nuts because I was under the impression that it there was a leak (especially as thick as oil) the AC would have stopped blowing cold. Started after a 2 hr ride at about 80mph...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts