Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 stock a/c compressor has a small leak and the rubber hose also has a small leak. I guess its time to upgrade to r34 or ???
Is there a upgrade kit somewhere or do I need to buy seperate parts. or just have the original rebuilt I know that the hot shot gas works in the r 12 units. so freon is not the problem what to do ?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Least expensive way would be to replace any leaking components and convert to 'Freeze 12". It is compatible with the oil currently in your system. If you want to convert to R134, you need to replace the accumulator/dryer and flush out the system. Last week I did 2 conversions, a 1980 to R134 and a '91 to Freeze 12. Both will freeze your nads off. :laughing:
You may want to consider a conversion kit also, eliminating the V.I.R assembly

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Least expensive way would be to replace any leaking components and convert to 'Freeze 12". It is compatible with the oil currently in your system. If you want to convert to R134, you need to replace the accumulator/dryer and flush out the system. Last week I did 2 conversions, a 1980 to R134 and a '91 to Freeze 12. Both will freeze your nads off. :laughing:
You may want to consider a conversion kit also, eliminating the V.I.R assembly
THE COMPRESSOR IS LEAKING JUST BEHIND THE PULLEY
SHOULD THE COMPRESSOR BEBUILT OR SHOULD I GET A NEW ONE. AND I THINK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HOT SHOT BEING FREEZE 12 ?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You could just have the seal changed, or get a new compressor. Note I didn't say rebuilt. The quality of rebuilt units is going down hill fast. If the system has been out for only a short while, I would cange the seal. I have heard of "Hotshot", but know nothing about it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could just have the seal changed, or get a new compressor. Note I didn't say rebuilt. The quality of rebuilt units is going down hill fast. If the system has been out for only a short while, I would cange the seal. I have heard of "Hotshot", but know nothing about it.

THANKS For the info I think the best way is to like you said is to relace the seal and hose. thanks again

Darrow
ps hot shot is great

1 - 5 of 5 Posts