Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 with a/c. I bought a 134a conversion kit (el cheapo) and there were two fundamental problems.

1) there is not enough room for the fitting on the low side to connect to the filler tube because the compressor bracket is in the way. If you knoe what Im talking about, no further explaination needed. If you dont, I could never explain it well enough.

2) the brass threads that hold in the freon cannister BROKE, yes, BROKE and spewed freon and oil everywhere. It got all over my nice clean engine, windows, paint, all over everywhere. M-----F----R!!!!

So, I will return the el cheapo kit for a refund, and because I am a DIY guy, I want to try this on my own forst before taking it to a pro.

Any suggestions here? Thanks for any help!

The DUde

·
Registered
910 Posts
Those cheapo conversion kits are AKA "death kits"

You are supposed to flush the system of the old mineral oil and change to the right Pag oil for your compressor so you don't sieze things up.

Get a r12 freon gauge set on ebay cheap so you can use your fittings and get an adapter for the 134 can tap to gauge set.

Get a blue 134a label too. It's illegal to use the r12 fittings with 134a but I won't tell. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The r12 is completely evacuated from the system. Is there another place to drain a different oil?

Also, What I need is a 90 degree elbow for the exsisting low side fitting. Ever seen one of those things? Then from there, I can use a death kit or whatever to charge with the 134a.

Thanks for the help!

Dude

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great U C Brother! Ill check on that today!

Good info, Thanks

Dude

1 - 7 of 7 Posts