Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think...?

Brought the car in for a recharge. Was told by mechanic that I had NO freon left in the system. He then told me he performed a 'vaccum check' and the system holds accum, but it may not hold the pressure. Was then told that I could have the freon put in w/some dye (only to be seen with a blacklight) in order to see where the leak may be coming from. I had the do nothing else except for the vaccum test. Any thoughts on what to do now???

Also, anyone know where or who has R12 for sale (preferrably in canisters).


Thanx in advance everyone! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,627 Posts
They now make freon that is compatible with both R34 and R12 systems. This won't fix your leak, but its a lot cheaper and more readily available than R12.
 

·
DC Pit Crew
Joined
·
11,957 Posts
you have to have a license to buy R12
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really eant where could I get some of the stuff that's comparable to the r12. Do you have to hav certain credentials to purchase that stuff???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,627 Posts
vettin1 said:
I really eant where could I get some of the stuff that's comparable to the r12. Do you have to hav certain credentials to purchase that stuff???
No, my son bought some, not sure where he got it. I'll see him thursday and ask him. I'll let you know.
 

·
Official Forklift Driver
Joined
·
7,068 Posts
I'm interested in finding out what this alternative to R12 is. I evac'ed my system last year for the mods and haven't re-charged it yet. It's starting to get alot of hot out now and my wife will kill me if I don't fill it soon. :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recently i've discovered that converting to r134a is sooooo easy. For a mechanic to do it, with a full chrage of the 134a, i was quoted $70. I guess this is the way I will go.

Thanx for all the advice everyone! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,627 Posts
War Machine said:
I'm interested in finding out what this alternative to R12 is. I evac'ed my system last year for the mods and haven't re-charged it yet. It's starting to get alot of hot out now and my wife will kill me if I don't fill it soon. :laughing:
My son bought an r134a kit at Discount auto parts. He charged his old r12 system with it and its working fine. Don't know how long it will last, but I guess its worth a shot. :)
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
32,974 Posts
vettin1 said:
Recently i've discovered that converting to r134a is sooooo easy. For a mechanic to do it, with a full chrage of the 134a, i was quoted $70. I guess this is the way I will go.

Thanx for all the advice everyone! :)

You can buy the kit to do it for $39.95 @ Discount Auto Parts.
If your handy you can save some $$$ I did both my Vette and Explorer with no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told that one must evacuate the old type oil using a vaccum system. I can do this conversion without doing that???
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
32,974 Posts
Yep! The compressor doesn't care what gas it is compressing.
The old 134 used to damage the o-rings in the system. The new 134-a will not hurt the o-rings. If that worries you you can change the o-rings over to the new ones the rest of the system will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
after you put in the 134a how hot was the high side? I added some by judging the air temp coming from teh vents and my high side is real hot, Im not sure what the norm is, the low side is real cold but not a biting cold, but its sweating pretty good. Just curious is the high side should feel that hot. a couple of seconds is about all you can touch it. Thanks for any info
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top