Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your A/C blows out of all vents regardless of mode selected, it's more than likely a vacuum line issue. These are brittle semi-rigid vacuum lines that eventually degrade and crack.

The source of the vacuum is a line to the back of the intake, under the cowl/wiper tray. It runs in a wire loom, under the battery tray to a canister in the passenger fender.

It CAN be replaced from the top side of the car without taking off the wheel.

Remove battery and battery tray. Remove the passenger side fuel rail cover. Disconnect the rubber udder tube. Reach/force your hand behind the intake and unplug the connection. Directly below that plug is the vacuum hose connection on a 90* elbow. Disconnect the whole thing.

Now look down the hole where the rubber under was. You'll see a few vacuum lines there. The bottom most connection is the one you want to disconnect. That's the one to undo. I used 3/16 fuel/vacuum line and traced the hood opener cable. Spray some WD-40 or silicone spray inside the ends of the new tube so assist in making the connections easier to complete. I used 5ft of tube and it make it easy. Currently, the old cracked line is still in the car because I didn't want to cut open the wire loom. With smaller arms/hands this probably would have been easier but I still managed in under 2 hours.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
Thanks for the info. All of the C5s are starting to show age and degradation of different components. Knowing what to do is definitely helpful

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That hand behind the intake... have fun with that. Were you able to do it that way?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That hand behind the intake... have fun with that. Were you able to do it that way?

Yea. That was my big concern. Gotta have eyeballs on the tips of your fingers. But it is possible. Even more possible with small arms (which at 250#, I do not posses).

It's not easy, but I've also suffered through changing the outside taillights of early C4's, so uncomfortable cramming is just a part of ownership. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts