Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a 2004 Z06 that I purchased new and use as a daily driver. It has just over 52K miles on it.

Since new, I have gone thru 2 sets of front and 4 sets of rear tires. So far I have stuck with the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires because the fronts and rears have never worn out at the same time. Until now!

I have to say, that while the Goodyear F1s are nice tires they have never inspired confidence in the rain. In fact, at times, it has been down right frightening to drive in a heavy down pour.

Anyway, after reading the reviews on Tire Rack, I decided to purchase a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I’ll be putting them on this weekend.

For the people running these tires; How do you feel about them in the long run? Have you stuck with the PS2s, tried something else, or gone back to the F1s? Are they really better in the rain? Any other recommendations fro daily driving tires?

On to the next issue…

The tell tale signs of a needed alignment are obvious; uneven tire wear, excessive pull to either side and/or even unusual vibration.

As I understand it, the Z06 has a stock setting of a slightly negative camber to enhance cornering.

This would seem obvious in the life of my tires as they have always shown an ever so slight wearing on the insides, not excessive mind you, but noticeable by the time they need changing.

My question then is; If I am showing no signs of poor alignment, should I have the alignment checked just for the hell of it? How many of you have your alignment checked regularly whether you need it or not? How often?

The bottom line for me is that I really don’t trust just anyone working on my Z. I actually take my wheels off and bring them in to have the tires changed. I don’t want those monkeys driving and lifting my car much less messing with my alignment if it isn’t necessary.

Seriously, if I could mount and balance the tires myself, I would! I do my own oil and brake jobs. I even installed my Borla exhaust and chassis plate… you get the idea.

Anyway, thanks for reading this post, any and all comments are appreciated.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've had my Z for almost 5 years now, and I still have the original factory alignment. I've done everything imaginable to this car from lowering, several wheel/tire changes, suspension, you name it. I've never touched the alignment, and I have exactly zero wear problems (other than from tire spin). As soon as you start letting schmucks touch what came from the factory, IMO you open a whole can of worms. Be careful who aligns your car, 8 out of 10 have no clue what they are doing on a Z06. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
I've had my Z for almost 5 years now, and I still have the original factory alignment. I've done everything imaginable to this car from lowering, several wheel/tire changes, suspension, you name it. I've never touched the alignment, and I have exactly zero wear problems (other than from tire spin). As soon as you start letting schmucks touch what came from the factory, IMO you open a whole can of worms. Be careful who aligns your car, 8 out of 10 have no clue what they are doing on a Z06. Good luck. :cheers:
You have no uneven tire wear, after lowering your car and not getting an alignment.....???? When I got my car lowered it was WAY out of alignment! That's a hard one to believe......

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You have no uneven tire wear, after lowering your car and not getting an alignment.....???? When I got my car lowered it was WAY out of alignment! That's a hard one to believe......
Almost 30k miles, and I've never had front tire wear. :thumbsup: :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts