Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, reading up on a couple c4 lowering articles. Im half way through my install, its rainy outside and i dont feel like crawling back under my vette. Here are a couple tricks ive used on my 1994, maybe they'll help you !

Removing those stubborn retainer bolts :

Well first thing i did is threw my car on stands. Then i covered every nut i knew was coming off in penetrating oil while i dragged all my tools out of my shop. What i did for the retainer bolts was used an impact gun. Not one spun clean off. 3 of the bolts are easy, only one is hard. The passenger side bolt heads are reachable with a long extension and socket for the rear (believe it was the rear one), and a combination wrench for the front. The drivers side front bolt is a piece of cake because the head is easily reached with a combo wrench. Now the fun one.

The driver side rear bolt head on my 94 with AC seems unreachable, i couldnt see it or feel it. What i did was got the bolt loose with my impact gun, then i dremel'd a small slot in the end of the bolt. It took a few trys, but once the slot was deep enough, i threw a flat head screw driver in it and easily removed the nut with a combination wrench.

Removing wedges :

To remove your old wedges, try what i did. I took an old steak knife and heated it up red hot with my little map gas torch, literally falls through the old wedges. Dont go all the way to the spring because heat problably isnt good for it, scrape the rest off with a razor blade or w.h.y.

Enjoy ! Ill post pics of my install sometime this week !

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Hey there guys, reading up on a couple c4 lowering articles. Im half way through my install, its rainy outside and i dont feel like crawling back under my vette. Here are a couple tricks ive used on my 1994, maybe they'll help you !

Removing those stubborn retainer bolts :

Well first thing i did is threw my car on stands. Then i covered every nut i knew was coming off in penetrating oil while i dragged all my tools out of my shop. What i did for the retainer bolts was used an impact gun. Not one spun clean off. 3 of the bolts are easy, only one is hard. The passenger side bolt heads are reachable with a long extension and socket for the rear (believe it was the rear one), and a combination wrench for the front. The drivers side front bolt is a piece of cake because the head is easily reached with a combo wrench. Now the fun one.

The driver side rear bolt head on my 94 with AC seems unreachable, i couldnt see it or feel it. What i did was got the bolt loose with my impact gun, then i dremel'd a small slot in the end of the bolt. It took a few trys, but once the slot was deep enough, i threw a flat head screw driver in it and easily removed the nut with a combination wrench.

Removing wedges :

To remove your old wedges, try what i did. I took an old steak knife and heated it up red hot with my little map gas torch, literally falls through the old wedges. Dont go all the way to the spring because heat problably isnt good for it, scrape the rest off with a razor blade or w.h.y.

Enjoy ! Ill post pics of my install sometime this week !
Good tips, look forward to the pics.

How low are you going with your '94?

·
Registered
223 Posts
:agree: Good tips, Really appreciate the input... looking forward to seeing the pictures!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts