Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, Monday we returned from a trip to Asheville, NC. I used to live in that area many years ago and remember it fondly for its' beauty and the wonderful twisties in so many mountain roads. This time the wife and I took a couple of nice drives over the weekend. On Sunday we drove North on the Blue Ridge parkway to the Folk Arts Center which is one place my wife always likes to shop at :laughing: ... Anyway, I suggested we drive further up and we got to the Craggy Gardens. It was quite beautiful, specially with the clouds rolling up the mountain from beneath us!

Monday we talked about taking and alternative route back home and chose to take part of the Blue Ridge Parkway going South and then take US 64 from Brevard to US 441 and take it South to Atlanta... Well, I took NC 151 from near Asheville to the Parkway. This road has some world class twisties and I remember having great fun driving there back in the 70's in my Saab Sonnett, and other cars. Well... This time I was pushed up the mountain by a guy in a ratted out old Buick:( ... My wife just would not allow me to go faster than a slow crawl as she complained of queasiness... Later on we got on the Parkway and drove on to Mount Pisgah where we stopped for a bit to hike around, etc.

We got off the Blue Ridge Parkway and drove down on NC 276 to Brevard followed by an earlier model 'Vette I think it was a C4. It was a very nice drive, all down hill. I was shocked to see just how long and steep a climb is was. Back when I was in my 40's, I used to ride my bicycle all the way from near Asheville to Brevard, up 276 and then up the Parkway to Mount Pisgah before heading back down the Parkway going North to exit several miles North of my house and making my way back... I must have been in a hell of good condition That's about 70 miles of serious climbing...

We got on US 64 and headed West. The road is wonderfully curvy and traverses a lot of beautiful countryside. Throughout the entire trip we saw many motorcyclists enjoying their rides and a few Vettes as well. During this last part of the trip I suffered yet another indignity. I was actually pushed in the twisties by a pickup truck pulling a jet ski on a trailer :rolleyes: .... Yes, you guessed it, the wife's tolerance for lateral G's (or any kind of G's) is extremely low. I guess one could read in the old Buick forums and trailer pulling pickup truck forums about the "kill" they made of a C6 in the twisties :laughing: Yes, I actually pulled over to let those guys go by.

Oh yeah, one thing about the Vette. Even covered with road dirt it still looks great :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,825 Posts
Great story, before our son was born my wife and I would throw a change of clothes in a suitcase, hop in the Vette and just head for the Autostrada. One of the best trips was when we drove to Monte Carlo, great roads, and I drove on some the same roads as the F1 circuit. My wife can take the G's in the Vette, it was only when we were in the Jeep that it bothered her.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the little story. I still love to drive the twisties in a good car. The C6 seems like a wonderful car for these types of things. A few weeks ago I went to the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deal's Gap in the NC/TN line. That stretch of US 129 is fabulous. I think there are 318 turns in 11 miles :thumbsup: That time I went without the wife so I could drive a little bit faster. However, I'm new to Vettes and I took it easy. My previous cars have been turbocharged Miatas and Mitsubishi Lancer EVOs. Those cars are very different in their driving characteristics to the RWD Corvette. I'm still learning to drive the C6 and I don't want to crash it.... This is what they do with the remnants of the bikes that crash there regularly..

I do think however, that I need to go back and redo the rides from this past weekend again without my personal speed control :devil: .... Who knows, I might find that old Buick out there again :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Great story. After living and driving the hills and valleys of Northern California for many years and observing/avoiding the bicyclists going up and down those often narrow roads, I've always wondered why they'd want to compete with cars (more specifically the many idiots who drive without consideration for pedestrians and bicyclists). Glad you survived all those rides and are now happily cruising in your C6. Thanks for sharing the day in words and pics!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Great story:thumbsup:
Nice pics too:thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great story. After living and driving the hills and valleys of Northern California for many years and observing/avoiding the bicyclists going up and down those often narrow roads, I've always wondered why they'd want to compete with cars (more specifically the many idiots who drive without consideration for pedestrians and bicyclists). Glad you survived all those rides and are now happily cruising in your C6. Thanks for sharing the day in words and pics!!:thumbsup:
I know what you mean about "competing" with the cars for the road... It's a definite bummer. During those very rides, I was buzzed by huge 10 wheeled trucks... They came so close and so fast that it was all I could do to keep the bike on the road... I could so feel the rush of air and it seemed at the time that the body of the truck was no more than a foot away from my body :down:

When bicycling, it's definitely a challenge to share the road... I always tried to not impede the motorized vehicles, but no matter what you do, it's hard not to annoy some drivers.... Anyway, I might not want to be a road obstacle but it sure would be nice to be in that kind of condition again ;) I must admit though... it seems that in my 60's I seemed to have slowed down some. Even behind the wheel I notice that I'm no longer the one passing everybody.....

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
Great pics and fantastic story!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts