Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my vette and I can't see myself ever being without one in the future but, is the price I have to pay for owning this killer high performance vehicle going to be quirky reliability? (It's my first vette!) So far this year my 01 C5 coupe with 28k miles on it has died in the my garage 3 times prompting jumps from AAA plus an overnight stay at the dealer to find the problem, 3 times.

The interior lite off/on switch was malfunctioning and running down the battery. Currently my signal lights only work when they feel like it, the led on the heater/ac climate control has gone dark and unreadable, the HUD goes out sometimes and I'm leaking fluid from the rear axle.

Did I also mention that she's developed a loud clatter/tapping noise coming from the engine on cold mornings. It disappears after a mile or so. I'm keeping an eye/ear on it. Somebody tell me if this is normal so I can stop worrying about it.

I've still got some OFW coverage for another 6 months or 7000+ miles but I'm wondering what's going to happen to the old girl and my pocket book when the warranty is done. Maybe I'll hang in there till I get to sit in a 05 C6 and see if it's love at first site or, "I'm not impressed."

Anyway, it's back to the dealer next week to check on the problems that I'm currently having. Although I don't want my Subaru SVX Coupe back instead of the vette, I don't remember it going to the dealer nearly as much as my C5.

Maybe I should find a new dealer shop. Ya think??!! I guess I'm just used to the Subaru's super reliablity. If my C5's behavior is normal, I guess I'm stuck with it since I'm now hooked on corvettes. But, my wife does chuckle when she has to drop me off in her Dodge when the vette is down. I hate that!!

:huh: :laughing:

<paragraphs inserted by Patrick96LT4>

Subaru SVX

"Lola" the C5

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
When I read posts like this, I am soooooooooo glad that my C5 has had 43K trouble free miles (except for column lock). You have WAY more patience than I do. If my Vette had that many problems, it would be gone and it would be my last Vette. I really sympathize with you on this. Good thing driving one is so damn addictive.:cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
That seems like way too many problems. You might want to consider a GMPP extended warranty. You can still get them if you have any original warranty left. Getting a new serving dealer doesn't sound like a bad idea. Good luck on getting it fixed and don't give up

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
The only problem that I had at 4k miles was both windows stopped going down. Then the dashboard started looking like an X-Mas tree and I started getting every error message on the DIC. The dealer thought the driver’s door computer module went out so the car was out of action for a week while the part was ordered. It turned out just to be the connection was bad and the car was back on the road.

Beside the trunk lid not opening when I pop it so or the rattle from the exhaust (which I'll get fixed in the spring) the car has been pretty good.

:cheers:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I think that loud taping/banging upon cold starts need to be documented at dealer, leave it overnight for them to cold start it in the morning. Piston slap or rings is my guess. My son had a 2000 with the same problem, he got new pistons and rings per GM. Start calling GM customer assistance and documenting your 3 and 4 times for the smae thing service, you may want to look into lemon law as it may apply to your situation.

Good Luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the all the info. I love my vette and I'm definately not ready to give up on it yet. Fortunately for me I only work 4 miles from my home and it's not a major problem getting to work when the vette's down except for my wife's chuckling when she drops me off. It's just a drag. I may try and leave my C5 at the dealer for a few days so they can go over it with a fine tooth comb to ferret out all of the problems. I may also check into an extended warranty, for some future peace of mind. Or, maybe I'll go and see what colors the dealer has left in the 2004 C5's. Don't tell my wife!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's a good thing these cars are fun.

I've got mine in the shop as we speak:

Clutch pedal doesn't come back up (did it 3 times at high RPM, once a low RPM).

Excessive oil consumption.

Rattle under the dash.

Clicking noise at left rear wheel.

Fuel tank sticking on E (second time).

A few months ago, a wheel cracked at the spoke.

GM is thinking about fixing it all, but will get back to me Monday.

Nice huh?

Chuck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yowch!! And I thought I had problems. Good luck on getting all of that fixed to satisfaction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yikes! I just bought my first Vette 2 weeks ago and you're scaring me!!
I've a 98 coupe - seems to be a terrific car so far. (???) Good luck

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
98qcksilverm said:
Yikes! I just bought my first Vette 2 weeks ago and you're scaring me!!
I've a 98 coupe - seems to be a terrific car so far. (???) Good luck
They've made 1.4 million Corvettes (yep.). So, there are bound to be cars out there that are just going to be mechanical nightmares.

But, you just roll the dice and see what happens. I've had nothing but great luck on my two Vettes. (well sorta)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
(well sorta)
Yea sorta:laughing:

Sorry to hear about the problems guys. Just hang in there when it's fixed you'll forget all about the problems on the road.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
No problems on my 2004 yet. A clean trouble free 750 miles. Hopefully I get alot of good miles from this car. By the way, How can I post a picture of my car with a response, in the options it says I may not post attachments.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Once the Corvette bug hits, we have no choice but to survive!

poncherello:

Don't let this scare you. Your car is still a pup anyway. Remember you're hearing a FEW problems out of a gazillion of them out there.

I've come to the realization that this performance car's tolerances must be close to be the world class car it is. Consequently, we will have a few things go wrong.

My Chevrolet Dealer is taking good care of me.

Chuck

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I'm not to worried, I usually dump a car when the warranty is up if I have to many problems with it. Nothing can be as bad as all the problems I had with a 96 Intrepid ES. That had to be the worst car I ever owned. Needless to say, it was gone the day the warranty was up. I just want to be able to enjoy my C5 and get alot of use out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
04 corvette

First time on the net.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Just bought an 04 and love it. Currently have 4,000 miles on it with no problems. Really impressed with the 04 corvette. I have had 4 other corvettes and this is the best yet. Went 15 years without driving one and was pleasantly surprise on the quality of the new corvettes. It is really a world class spots car.
:excited: :excited:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My problems didn't develop until about 20,000+ miles. C5 ran very well up until then. I drive my car but I'm definately not aggressive or hard on it. About average I guess. But, one or two bad repair days in the C5 are greatly overshadowed by all the great cruising and maxxed fun factor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts