Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago I received my SLP "cold air intake" in the mail *funny story I hunted the UPS guy down* :laughing: Anyway... I was pretty excited because an intake is an easy 5 min bolt on for a quick 5-10 HP! SOOOO with my expectations at that level... I proceeded to put the new intake on. During this process I did a once over of the product admiring its beauty. I was impressed with all the welds and the quality of the product and just as I was thinking that I look and inside of the AIR PUMP bung there are metal shavings EVERYWHERE! I was FUMING!!! If I had not looked over the product I could have destroyed my motor... There was a tee spoon worth of metal shavings on the inside of this bung. So I took the air hose and blew them out and ran a magnet over the area just to make sure. So now with that over with and satisfied that it was clean I proceed to put it on. As I tighten the nuts down I see that the bung on the side of the drivers side tube is not covered and has no cap on it... So I go to the directions and they start taking about an air pump connection and so on... I looked everywhere. MY CAR DOES NOT HAVE THIS CONNECTION! So I was freaking out because I wasnt going to drive around with this gaping hole in the side of my brand new intake. I then called SLP as a very disgruntled customer demanding some answers. All the rep said was that "we make these to fit all models and some yr vettes have these air pump connections. All you have to do is go out to the hardware store and buy a 3/4" plug." That pissed me off even MORE. They knew that this needs a plug on some models. As a reputable company like SLP dont you think you would include a plug WITH THE KIT!!?!?!?!?!?!

Heres how it ended up... Looks good and now works great! But I was PISSED OFF!!!

Lastly. I bought front and rear black outs for my lights from corvette central. I placed the order on sunday. Like MOST online stores the order is processed and shipped by the next day. I called CC today to see if my order had been shipped yet and THREE DAYS LATER!!! Its STILL not shipped... Im really quite agrivated about that cause I paid almost 20 bucks for shipping and handling and it still hasnt even left yet...

Anyway... Thanks for listening guys! I dont expect a lot of replies to this thread but I just wanted you all to know about my experiences!

Thanks again!

Joe

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHA Thanks man! :D

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Thats an awesome looking cold air intake, could we see some pictures of the rest of it?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Any SOTP improvements? Nice looking intake BTW!:partyon:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats an awesome looking cold air intake, could we see some pictures of the rest of it?
Absolutely! Ill take high quality pics tomorrow... Im off to work! :D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
So about a week ago I received my SLP "cold air intake" in the mail *funny story I hunted the UPS guy down* :laughing: Anyway... I was pretty excited because an intake is an easy 5 min bolt on for a quick 5-10 HP! SOOOO with my expectations at that level... I proceeded to put the new intake on. During this process I did a once over of the product admiring its beauty. I was impressed with all the welds and the quality of the product and just as I was thinking that I look and inside of the AIR PUMP bung there are metal shavings EVERYWHERE! I was FUMING!!! If I had not looked over the product I could have destroyed my motor... There was a tee spoon worth of metal shavings on the inside of this bung. So I took the air hose and blew them out and ran a magnet over the area just to make sure. So now with that over with and satisfied that it was clean I proceed to put it on. As I tighten the nuts down I see that the bung on the side of the drivers side tube is not covered and has no cap on it... So I go to the directions and they start taking about an air pump connection and so on... I looked everywhere. MY CAR DOES NOT HAVE THIS CONNECTION! So I was freaking out because I wasnt going to drive around with this gaping hole in the side of my brand new intake. I then called SLP as a very disgruntled customer demanding some answers. All the rep said was that "we make these to fit all models and some yr vettes have these air pump connections. All you have to do is go out to the hardware store and buy a 3/4" plug." That pissed me off even MORE. They knew that this needs a plug on some models. As a reputable company like SLP dont you think you would include a plug WITH THE KIT!!?!?!?!?!?!

Heres how it ended up... Looks good and now works great! But I was PISSED OFF!!!

Lastly. I bought front and rear black outs for my lights from corvette central. I placed the order on sunday. Like MOST online stores the order is processed and shipped by the next day. I called CC today to see if my order had been shipped yet and THREE DAYS LATER!!! Its STILL not shipped... Im really quite agrivated about that cause I paid almost 20 bucks for shipping and handling and it still hasnt even left yet...

Anyway... Thanks for listening guys! I dont expect a lot of replies to this thread but I just wanted you all to know about my experiences!

Thanks again!

Joe
I'll be honest, my co-worker put one on his 1993 6 speed coupe and I still walked him with my bone stock (except K&N filter) 1995 C4, there was no difference from a stand still or roll. I see nothing earth shattering with that design, 10hp for that price? You're better off with a custom tune.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks good. I always check engine parts before install, and thoroughly clean them, never know what's in them (I mostly buy vintage/used however).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be honest, my co-worker put one on his 1993 6 speed coupe and I still walked him with my bone stock (except K&N filter) 1995 C4, there was no difference from a stand still or roll. I see nothing earth shattering with that design, 10hp for that price? You're better off with a custom tune.
Could be... I feel a little smoother top end. But no serious difference. I would love to get a nice tune but there is NO WHERE around me that dyno tunes LT1's... Theres tons of GREAT LSx shops... No LT...

Joe

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good. I always check engine parts before install, and thoroughly clean them, never know what's in them (I mostly buy vintage/used however).
Yeah... Well from now one I will! I cant believe that! A healthy tee spoon worth of shavings in the motor would have been a nice 4000 dollar dent in my wallet...

Joe

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mine was the exact same way with the metal shavings that SLP diddn't clean out...definitely could have got lodged in the valve seats and caused "serious" other issues if it wasn't caught....I wonder how many guys out there this happened to, and they diddn't know what happened to their engine:lookinup: ........Now If SLP would have just made the damn Claw out of a material that dosn't retain heat, it "might" have had a chance of picking up something (HP wise)... but unfortunately, there's really no power advantage with the SLP unit.....many people over the years including myself have tried it back to back at the dyno "and" (more importantly) at the drag strip, but really nothing there to be gained over the factory (better "non-heat" retaining material) air intake with a K&N filter installed and the common "cut lid" mod.......mine actually (consistantly) went 1 MPH slower with the SLP unit after some heat from the engine compartment heated the metal intake tubes......ended up going back to the stock unit with the K&N and cut lid:thud: ...............(from another Vette forum) here's some dyno testing results ("Before") the SLP claws air tubes retained alot of heat from driving around http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1315330

1 - 14 of 14 Posts