Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us C6 owners who bought the navigation system have been frustrated by the inability to enter destinations while you are driving. If you have a passenger, certainly it is safe to let him or her enter destinations while you watch the road. But whoever designed the nav system apparently didn't use it much and see what a PIA it is to have to stop your car just to enter a new destination or change your route!

After studying the Corvette C6 service manual, I found a pretty simple solution that costs about three hours of your time and $3 for a switch from Radio Shack. The photo below shows the result.

Flip the switch and your Destination Menu will reappear at any speed. Enter what you want and flip the switch back for normal vehicle tracking.

If you're interested in this modification, follow this link for instructions:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Great info kawal What else do you have in your bag of tricks and tips.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think what it all boils down to is liability issues. All it would take is for 1 person to get into an accident while programming their Nav., and here come the law suits.

What I do if I need to program mine while driving is pull the brake handle up one notch...enough to activate the brake sensor but not enough to engage the brake. The cruise control shuts off when I do this, but its better than pulling over.

That switch is a pretty good idea too though.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Many of us C6 owners who bought the navigation system have been frustrated by the inability to enter destinations while you are driving. If you have a passenger, certainly it is safe to let him or her enter destinations while you watch the road. But whoever designed the nav system apparently didn't use it much and see what a PIA it is to have to stop your car just to enter a new destination or change your route!

After studying the Corvette C6 service manual, I found a pretty simple solution that costs about three hours of your time and $3 for a switch from Radio Shack. The photo below shows the result.

Flip the switch and your Destination Menu will reappear at any speed. Enter what you want and flip the switch back for normal vehicle tracking.

If you're interested in this modification, follow this link for instructions:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

MAYBE THE PEOPLE AT GM SHOULD CALL YOU AND ASK HOW TO IMPROVE THE SYSTEM SINCE IT HAS BEEN OUT NOW FOR 3 YEARS (ALMOST 4) AND THE NAV SYSTEM IS SO FAR BEHIND OTHER CARS. NOW IF YOU COULD JUST FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT BLUETOOTH. I ALSO CHECKED OUT YOUR PDA ADD ON GREAT JOB!. I HAVE A PIONEER D3 IN MY VETTE AND I WENT THAT WAY BECASUE THE FACTORY NAV IS SO ANCIENT IN TECHNOLOGY AND IT HAS A IPOD CONNECTION ON THE BACK AND I RAN THE CABLE UNDER THE DASH TOL THE CTR CONSOLE AND MY IPOD IS IN THE CTR CONSOLE AND I CAN CONTROL IT TOUCH SCREEN FROM THE PIONEER AND IT IS SO EASY TO USE AND I LOVE IT.

GREAT WORK ON THE INSTALL AND IT LOOKS GREAT NOT SOME CHEESY COLORED TOGGLE SWITCH.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Why doesn't GM connect it to the Passenger Airbag sensor and when it senses a passenger in the seat it allows changes to be made to the nav...doesn't seem that complicated.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Good idea. I put a switch in the parking brake line circuit on my D1 unit I installed in my C5. With it all the functions are available all the time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 2000 miles with the nav mod

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip and this modification really is nice! Being able to enter destinations and choosing points of interest like hotels and restaurants while you are driving is really convenient.

But there is one issue I should mention in case other owners decide to make this mod. Once you flip the switch, which allows you to enter all of your information, there is a limited time (which is usually sufficient) you have before the nav system resets itself and starts tracking via the GPS. When this happens, you lose the input buttons. In order to get them back, you must flip the switch back to "normal" and wait a few seconds for the nav to reset itself and the information screen blinks. Then you flip the switch and continue entering your data. You don't lose your place when this happens, so it's no big deal. But if you dilly-dally too long, you might have to flip the switch more than once. This might happen, for example, if you are waiting for a complete "list" of some points of interest. You get used to it quickly.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Thats great !!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts