Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When people learn that you are an economist, they often want you to predict which way the economy is going. There seem to be more than the usual number of calls for such predictions lately. But an economist should be more aware than others are of how hazardous such predictions can be.

One reason is that what happens in the economy is affected by what politicians do in Washington-- and who can predict what politicians will do?

However, let me go out on a limb, and try to predict what politicians will not do.

What would probably get the economy recovering fastest and most completely would be for the President of the United States and Congressional leaders to shut up and stop meddling with the economy. But it is virtually impossible that they will do that.

Think about telling all the millions of people who have lost their jobs, their homes or their businesses: "I really messed you up but, hey, nobody's perfect. So I'm going to leave things alone now." In fact, that would be hard even to tell yourself.

If the stimulus isn't working, the true believers have to believe that it is only because it hasn't been tried long enough, or with enough money being spent.

There are always calls for the government to "do something" when things are going bad. Those who make such calls have almost never bothered to check out what actually happens when the government does something, as compared to what happens when the government does nothing.

It is not just free market economists who think the government can make a mess bigger with its interventions. It was none other than Karl Marx who wrote to his colleague Engels that "crackbrained meddling by the authorities" can "aggravate an existing crisis."

The history of the United States is full of evidence on the negative effects of government intervention. For the first 150 years of this country's existence, the federal government did not think it was its business to intervene when the economy turned down.

All of those downturns ended faster than the first downturn where the federal government intervened big time-- the Great Depression of the 1930s.

There are two conflicting assumptions about what happened during the Great Depression. The most popular assumption, especially among politicians, is that the market failed and the government had to intervene to save the economy.

Another assumption is that the market went down and was on its way back up when federal intervention sent it down again and led to massive unemployment. If you don't let facts get in the way, you can just pick whichever assumption you like-- and the first assumption wins that popularity contest, hands down.

But, if you look at the facts, they go like this: Unemployment never hit double digits in any of the 12 months following the big stock market crash of 1929 that is often blamed for the massive unemployment of the 1930s. Unemployment peaked at 9 percent, two months after the October 1929 crash, and then began drifting downward.

Unemployment was down to 6.3 percent by June 1930, when the first big federal intervention occurred. Within six months, the downward trend in unemployment reversed and hit double digits for the first time in December 1930.

What were politicians to do? Say "We messed up"? Or keep trying one huge intervention after another? The record shows what they did: President Hoover's interventions were followed by President Roosevelt's bigger interventions-- and unemployment remained in double digits in every month for the entire remainder of the decade.

There is another set of facts: The record that was set in 1929 for the biggest stock market decline in one day was broken in 1987. But Ronald Reagan did nothing-- and the media clobbered him for it.

Then the economy rebounded and there were 20 years of sustained economic growth with low inflation and low unemployment.

Can you imagine Barack Obama doing another Ronald Reagan? I certainly wouldn't predict that.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Good ... can't wait the GOP to take care of this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Ahh yes, the 'Anti-Barry' to you.
I think the bigger picture is ... and again, VF not providing a link and thus plagerizing, where I have to put out the investigative reporting effort ...

Goes to his Bush neo-conservative mentality ...

*Create problems to solve*

:down:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I think the bigger picture is ... and again, VF not providing a link and thus plagerizing, where I have to put out the investigative reporting effort ...

You mean like, "Don't let any crisis go to waste?" :laughing:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts

Is it plagerizing when you re arrange a few words from a piece and post it as your own and then when you're caught you claim you were a nano second away from posting a link?

This post was no plagerization......but call it as you will.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Whats the matter, brother... does his intellect baffle you ? I do not typically list the author or web address because it takes away from the message within the article -as was the case with this and others I have posted. When I do list either or both... it is to show those of your ideology, changing. You do not wish to debate the message... you would much rather gain your opinion from the comments below or dismiss the entire article due to the name of the site. My post format is very distinct... -I write like I talk. For you to even suggest that I intended for anyone to believe I was posting my thoughts... is ludicrous -and meant to detract from having to use your limited intellect to respond with the slightest hint of depth in thought -or a serious intellect.

So -for the future... this is where I read and re post the authors thoughts on a regular basis -due to his articulation of the English language -which is far superior to my own. As is the case with so many of my thoughts... I think it and convey it here... then someone will come along and write about it in a more grammatically correct fashion.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/authors/thomas_sowell/

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Is it plagerizing when you re arrange a few words from a piece and post it as your own and then when you're caught you claim you were a nano second away from posting a link?

This post was no plagerization......but call it as you will.
Yes, if you don't quote or at the bare minimum refer to the author, no matter what you do it, it is plagerism ...

Here, and VF has been warned numerous times, his *neglect* at posting the reference assumes *intent* ... his intent always assumes he knows he's gonna get it because of the authors' *unsavory character* ... again, VF knows this, this is why he *neglects* posting the link ... making it even worse by descending into plagerism ...

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I've never plagerized ... feel free to post up where I have ...
:agree:
Your gross distortions preclude any plagerism to the point that the plagerisee would be too embarassed to confront the plageriser. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Your gross distortions ... preclude any plagerism to the point that the plagerisee would be too embarassed to confront the plageriser. :laughing:
Post it up please ...

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, if you don't quote or at the bare minimum refer to the author, no matter what you do it, it is plagerism ...

Here, and VF has been warned numerous times
Where are these warnings ? Where have I ever been accused of ripping others thoughts off ? I bring topics and thoughts up that you have never heard of... thus why you have no thought about them and post a picture. Who the **** are you to warn me ? Nobody figgin mutt -lacking the most infantile intellect and ideology... is going to warn me about anything in life !? Get bent, stupid.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Where are these warnings ? Where have I ever been accused of ripping others thoughts off ? I bring topics and thoughts up that you have never heard of... thus why you have no thought about them and post a picture. Who the **** are you to warn me ? Nobody figgin mutt -lacking the most infantile intellect and ideology... is going to warn me about anything in life !? Get bent, stupid.
:laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Post it up please ...
Really ? How many times have I shown your regurgitation's to be half truths and out right lies ? -and then show them to you again when you forget that you posted the same thing 30 days earlier ?

Now... you have grow the balls to accuse me of this **** ?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Really ? How many times have I shown your regurgitation's to be half truths and out right lies ? -and then show them to you again when you forget that you posted the same thing 30 days earlier ?

Now... you have grow the balls to accuse me of this **** ?

... because I'm a six-hirb ?

:laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go ahead and joke... but never -never accuse me of that **** again.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Your gross distortions preclude any plagerism to the point that the plagerisee would be too embarassed to confront the plageriser. :laughing:
Post it up please ...
How many times have you referred to me or other R's as 'right-wing whacko's'?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.