Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how easy it is for you guy to burn rubber, I am not talking you big block guys with 5000000 hp just us small block guys with automatics.

Sorry 4speed guys, you all could lay down rubber with a ford pinto motor.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Was wondering how easy it is for you guy to burn rubber, I am not talking you big block guys with 5000000 hp just us small block guys with automatics.

Sorry 4speed guys, you all could lay down rubber with a ford pinto motor.
76 vette stock 350, 400 trans ran real good before I started on the rebuild. 2 ft strip of rubber at best on new tires. :nuts: New 496 BB hopefully unlimited :devil: :cheers: Mark

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats some stark contrast fellas, gear ratios and tire size?

My car will do either depending on type of road concrete vs asphalt. Concrete I can get about 5 feet asphalt it just white smokes to redline.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same 350 with a th400 and stock stall no burnout possible. Changed to a 700r4 with 4k stall and I can burn rubber with ease. I am thinking the 498 will burn em up even easier once installed. :crazy:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
My 92 383 with modified R700 would light them up. My 96 auto would lay down a pretty good patch if I got it perfect but just a chirp if I did not.

:cheers:

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 330 hp crate engine with a BTO 200r4 3.55 would not even chirp a tire. The 383/4l60e is another story. Under 10-15 mph, it will light it up with ease.

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
My old 350 couldn't even chirp, but my new 383 stroker puts out a little over 400hp to the rear.

I floored it just once, And the front suspension went up atleast 5 inches rear tires squealed.. Left a foot long black tiremark on the street. But I did it just once, because I don't really like burnouts. Just wanted to see what my baby was capable of. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
everybody failed to mention the tire itself. the 245/65/ 16 michelins lit up easier the older they got. havent beed able to since the rebuild started. 350 motor/400 trans. headers and a mild cam were the only upgrades when i bought it

·
Registered
552 Posts
Burning rubber is a state of mind.

The vast majority of autos will do blistering burnouts if you're not a p*ssy about powerbraking and the car doesn't cough with instant throttle under load. Done properly the car will lose an inch of wheelbase just before chaos.

Often times autos with high rear gears do the wickedest burnouts of all.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would think if you get yourself 3:73 or 4:11s ,you should be able to fry your tires or your motor is just too under powered.Of coarse thats without power braking your car,which is the lamest thing ive seen , someone power braking to burn their tires up:crazy: If you cant do it the right way,dont do it at all:laughing:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine will torch right up, I raced a silver l82, he didnt spin and I went sideways until I snatch some concrete. When we pulled over he said his didn't peel out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
thats some stark contrast fellas, gear ratios and tire size?

My car will do either depending on type of road concrete vs asphalt. Concrete I can get about 5 feet asphalt it just white smokes to redline.
350 10:1 full roller dart iron eagles 200cc rpm intake 750 holley,th400 9.5" 3000 stall 3:73 255/60/15 firestone indy 500

;

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would think if you get yourself 3:73 or 4:11s ,you should be able to fry your tires or your motor is just too under powered.Of coarse thats without power braking your car,which is the lamest thing ive seen , someone power braking to burn their tires up:crazy: If you cant do it the right way,dont do it at all:laughing:
It's actually the other way around. Pretty much any V8 with the carb & ignition working properly will roast em with a little bit of powerbraking.

But with deep gears those stock type engines don't have the guts to spin tires in 2nd gear so they can't develop the 50mph wheel speed that a car with high gears can, they're stuck closer to 35mph. That difference in wheel speed makes a world of difference. 50 pretty much overwhelms em into total slippage. 35 is gonna try to hook when the car's rolling at 10mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts