Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the A/C condenser cover on a 78 L-82 without having to remove the engine?

I've been stripping the frame from the firewall forward (frame on resto-mod:bang), and today I removed the A/C temp switch bracket from the airbox to gain better access to the top of the frame, (A/C is not functional at the moment, need a new compressor and manifold/hose assy).

From what I can see, it looks like I can access all the screws to remove the cover. Thought it might be nice to pull the cover to clean the inside of the box and the condenser,and put new sealing material around the top condenser tube "while I'm at it", BUT I don't want to attempt this (I've got enough to do as is:thud:) without some sage advice from you guyz:D

Do-able with the engine in place?:huh:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
FWIW: The underhood side will not come out until the interior half has been removed. It's a two part process with no free lunch. With the engine in place, work space is restricted making things difficult to reach.

You're working with the evaporator case. The condenser is in front of the radiator.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW: The underhood side will not come out until the interior half has been removed. It's a two part process with no free lunch. With the engine in place, work space is restricted making things difficult to reach.

You're working with the evaporator case. The condenser is in front of the radiator.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for the correction! And I guess I WON"T be working with the evaporator......:smack:

I'll just clean the outside and call it done.:laughing:

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
If I am recalling correctly, we pulled all the A/C stuff out of our L48 car with the engine in place. I assume the L82 is the same. There's quite a bit of room on that side actually. Mike is correct though, the inside and outside parts all have to come out at the same time, since there are at lease 2 "through" bolts/screws.

I don't recall much cursing or hating the job too much, so it might just take you an afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts