Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the clutch and pulley from my A6 Compressor (1975) so that I can rebuild it. I've removed the 9/16" nut from the front. I tried to remove the clutch with a loaner tool from Autozone but it would not budge. The tool that I used had a threaded bolt similar to a harmonic balancer puller with the larger outer nut. I tightened down the tool really tight but the clutch did come off of the shaft. After trying to remove it the clutch seems to be engaged and will spin the pulley when I rotate it. Does anyone have any instructions for removal of the clutch and pulley?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I am trying to remove the clutch and pulley from my A6 Compressor (1975) so that I can rebuild it. I've removed the 9/16" nut from the front. I tried to remove the clutch with a loaner tool from Autozone but it would not budge. The tool that I used had a threaded bolt similar to a harmonic balancer puller with the larger outer nut. I tightened down the tool really tight but the clutch did come off of the shaft. After trying to remove it the clutch seems to be engaged and will spin the pulley when I rotate it. Does anyone have any instructions for removal of the clutch and pulley?
Tap the End of the Puller Lead screw with a Mechanics Ball Peen Hammer.
The shock from hammer taps will pop the A6 compressor clutch drive plate off instant.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it off. I was using the wrong puller. I didn't realize that the inner part of the clutch pulley had threads in addition to the threaded center shaft. When I cleaned away all of the oil I noticed the threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts